Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mini WSM  (Read 9113 times)

SmoothSmoke

• WKC Ranger
Re: Mini WSM
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 06:58:12 AM »
Can't wait to get started on mine.  But I have to buy a drill first.   :o  Yup a grown man without a power tool.  So ashamed! 

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 07:11:27 AM »
Can't wait to get started on mine.  But I have to buy a drill first.   :o  Yup a grown man without a power tool.  So ashamed! 

The Home Depot has that.....

......along with BBQ spray paint, if you wanna go fancy....... 8)

Here's a couple of good build threads from buddies of mine, if anybody needs a reference, there's pointers on the ash block can & dividers for coal management too......

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47307&highlight=uds+tread

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53910&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=uds+thread&start=0
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 11:07:48 PM »
Used a SJG for my mini.  Only cooked on the Smokey Joe once as a grill. Works well for the mini.  Plus if you need some extra air flow , u can use the old lungs to give it a boost. Try doing that with a silver.
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 05:03:52 PM »
Somebody buy Chad a beer.  And a cape.  That SS vent cover is 18 kinds of awesome. 

I love buying stuff for a dollar!
One of the charcoal people.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 08:30:17 PM »
I made a butt in my mini today. I put the charcoal in an old vegetable basket that works pretty good. When I see the temp begin to drop I shake it out and add more charcoal. I think it's cool that the pot is light enough that you can just remove it to top off and check the coal. I have never tried to run it overnight though where the bottom vent on the silver would clog.

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 09:35:38 PM »
I made a butt in my mini today. I put the charcoal in an old vegetable basket that works pretty good. When I see the temp begin to drop I shake it out and add more charcoal. I think it's cool that the pot is light enough that you can just remove it to top off and check the coal. I have never tried to run it overnight though where the bottom vent on the silver would clog.

When u say vegtable basket, are u talkin about the basket I use to cook veggies on the grill.  Mine barely fits in my 18" weber.  Definitly won't fit in the WSM Mini.

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 03:42:29 AM »
Somebody buy Chad a beer.  And a cape.  That SS vent cover is 18 kinds of awesome. 

I love buying stuff for a dollar!

Yah, somebody buy me a beer!  ;D This cape thing though... ???

SmoothSmoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 07:00:58 AM »
So I have a gold on its way.   8)  I plan on buying a Vasconia pot.  What else is needed?  I only want 1 cooking grate. 

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
Mini WSM
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 11:11:24 AM »
So I have a gold on its way.   8)  I plan on buying a Vasconia pot.  What else is needed?  I only want 1 cooking grate.

Three ss screws with washers and nuts, 1/4" and short will do.
A diffuser pan; a 14" pie or pizza pan would be perfect.
A thermometer to mount just under the grate, these don't have to be expensive, just be sure the stem isn't any longer than 2".
Two grate, one for cooking, the other for supporting the defusser.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 11:18:13 AM by Chad A »

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 11:46:10 AM »
The 2nd grate for the diffuser should sit snugly in the bottom of the pot, so no need for screws to support it
The charcoal basket is a good idea, it keeps the charcoal away from the vents to provide better circulation
You might want some paint from Home Depot to make it fancy too :D
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

SmoothSmoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 02:45:17 PM »
Thanks guys. 

I'm thinking of just drilling a bunch of holes in the bottom of the pot, that in conjunction with the perforated pan it comes with should be enough for a diffuser?? 

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
Mini WSM
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2013, 06:20:08 PM »
Using the defuser that comes with the pot isn't a bad idea, but you will still need to place a pie or pizza pan on top of the stock defuser. This will prevent direct heat from effecting your cook, and also prevents the drippings from hitting the coals as well as keeping the mess at the bottom of the pot to a minimum.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 06:24:30 PM by Chad A »

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 10:04:29 PM »
Thanks guys. 

I'm thinking of just drilling a bunch of holes in the bottom of the pot, that in conjunction with the perforated pan it comes with should be enough for a diffuser??

Thats exactly what i did .  no need for another diffuser pan or second grate.  used the stainer pan as a template for marking for the holes.  put the strainer pan in so the holes don't line up with those in the bottom of pot.