Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Royal Oak sale @ Menards  (Read 2037 times)

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Royal Oak sale @ Menards
« on: May 22, 2016, 11:14:39 AM »
UPDATE: Good thru May 30th now.

For those of us who prefer RO over KBB.  Brought home a baker's dozen now & will return to cash in some rebate checks on more.

$4.79 for 18# bag. $.26/lb.

Same price, per pound, as the KBB deal at Home Depot & Lowe's.  https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/grills-outdoor-cooking/charcoal-wood-fuel/18-lb-premium-charcoal/p-1444452524122-c-1461078035991.htm?tid=-3781114397150079575
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 03:11:26 PM by brewtownbeatdown »
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Royal Oak sale @ Menards
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 11:30:45 AM »
Thank you brewtown!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 04:43:37 PM »
So what is the verdict on this stuff? I have used the Lump and like it, but how does this compare to regular KBB from the Lowes and Home Depot sale? I was going to stock up on KBB, but if this is better, will go this route.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 05:46:37 PM »
I don't like ro briquettes at all, bad experience once soured me to the product.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 06:36:00 PM »
So what is the verdict on this stuff?
It's just my preference. I'm just not a fan of the KBB start-up smoke (no problem once it heats up). I have a very acute sense of smell & the "chemical stink" lingers in my sinuses for hours. Burns a little slower when running a snake. Seems to burn hotter when piled (or in baskets). No scientific evidence, just my judgement.

I don't like ro briquettes at all, bad experience once soured me to the product.
I had some unsuccessful experiences with RO, 20+ years ago, but gave it another shot 6-7 years ago. It has been nothing but good & consistent since.
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 02:59:08 AM »
I need an agent!!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

go_home_red

• Smokey Joe
    • Analog Schemes
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 05:29:41 PM »
I'm definitely a fan of Royal Oak briquettes as far as the quality of the product. I really do not like the shape they put on the briquettes, though. If you're just dumping them in a pile on your grill, then they're great. But if you're trying to build a charcoal fuse/snake, the ridges on the briquettes make it hard to get them to lean against each other. I finally just started alternating the briquette orientation so that the ridges were perpendicular to each other, like this:

It takes some time to assemble, but you can get a lot of briquettes into a fuse/snake. So you can get some insanely long burns. But the "pillow" shape of, say, Stubbs briquettes is far easier to work with.

And yet I just purchased more Royal Oak yesterday...and I will probably get more tomorrow before the sale goes off!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 04:56:49 AM »
I have mixed experience with RO briqs.

Several years ago I picked up a few bags on clearance at Kmart, and it was awful.  Smudgy smoke and tasted terrible.  Then I used some again on a trip last summer at it was just fine.  So if I found some on sale I'd buy a bag, go home and cook with it, then possibly return the next day to stock up.
One of the charcoal people.