Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Flank Steak On The Red Brick Performer  (Read 1160 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Flank Steak On The Red Brick Performer
« on: May 20, 2016, 02:25:21 AM »
Sold the first Performer I'd ever purchased yesterday on CL and fired up The Red Brick one for the first time.

It was a pretty simple cook, Flank Steak.
The Lovely GF marinated the Flank Steak at noon time and she went on at 7:15PM
It tasted great but I probably wouldn't have purchased it.
It seems like "Flank steak" is hot in the culinary world right now so markets price them fairly high considering the tough cut that it is.  So my line of thinking is that if I can get good Ribeyes on sale for $5.99 why in the world would I pay the same thing for a lesser cut of meat.   When I go to the meat department I generally go with an open mind and look for value and then plan my cook around whats on sale.  I think a lot of women get a certain recipe in their head ahead of time and no matter what the cost is, they are going to buy the protein that that recipe calls for no matter what it costs per lb.  To me it's the same as someone having the option to buy Rib Roast for the same price as brisket and opting for brisket.  I'll never understand that.
In any case it turned out delicious.  She made a citrus/ avocado/cilantro/red onion topping  that was out of this world and I really enjoyed it.

Set up the charcoal baskets on one side of the pit and got the coals going pretty good before I placed the Flank directly over the baskets with a chunk of mesquite for smoke.

Flipped them over and brought them to 135 internal before pulling them off, tenting them under foil for 10 minutes and then cutting across the grain.

Here it is before I scooped on the avocado mixture that Kate made-

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Flank Steak On The Red Brick Performer
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 02:28:44 AM »
I like Flank Steak a lot, my family, not to much.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 03:43:16 AM »
Great looking cook.  I haven't done a flank steak in some time now since their price went up so much.  Never understood that as it used to be a great budget cut of meat.  I made a lot of jerky from it. 

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 04:33:17 AM »
The flank steak looks awesome! What camera are you using to take these awesome pics?

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 04:57:23 AM »
@Nate LG G4 cell phone.  The Flank steak was great and her avocado salsa made it.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 05:59:09 AM »
 Looks great Cap, and couldn't agree more about the prices vs. cuts with beef right now. 

Would you mind sharing the vege mixture the misses made up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 08:37:51 AM »
The steak looks perfect!  Hey if they don't like it just think...more for you!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 04:01:07 AM »
Great looking meal, cooked on a great looking grill!