Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Genesis 2000 restore paint questions  (Read 1900 times)

jjmoss1

• Happy Cooker
Genesis 2000 restore paint questions
« on: May 16, 2016, 08:58:27 PM »
Hello WKC - I am a relative novice who is trying to restore a 1996 red weber genesis 2000.  To prep, I cleaned, scraped and sanded the fire box and the hood.  I painted the hood endcaps with rust-o-leum ultra high heat spray paint.  This has a semi gloss finish and looks nice.  For the firebox, I wanted more of a matte finish, so I used the rustoleum high heat in black matte.  This stuff is just awful.  Firstly, it's gray, not black.  Secondly, it smudges very easily with the lightest of touches.  And thirdly, it's very powdery and rubs off pretty easily.  I want to repaint the firebox with something that is a better color match and less prone to fingerprints.  My questions are: 1) Can I just paint on top of the rustoleum on the firebox, or do I have to strip it off and start over again? 2) does anyone have a paint recommendation that will perform a little better?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:04:03 PM by jjmoss1 »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Genesis 2000 restore paint questions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 02:33:37 PM »
Sorry, can't help. FYI I used the High Heat Ultra on a cook box and it's great there, but of course not matte.

Welcome to the WKC!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 07:21:06 PM »
Just spray over it with the SG high heat ultra you used on the lid sides....it should work fine.
SMOKE THIS!!

jjmoss1

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 05:47:58 AM »
Great, thanks for the advice!  I'm in the middle of sanding down years of grease and dirt on the wood slats for the shelves and really did not want to re-sand the whole cook box too!