Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rust spots on Performer kettle  (Read 3460 times)

go_home_red

• Smokey Joe
    • Analog Schemes
Rust spots on Performer kettle
« on: May 16, 2016, 08:41:05 AM »
I just acquired a DH code Performer. It's in pretty good shape, and only cost me $46. Aside from replacing the back connecting bar (bent) and the handle on the ash bucket (very rusty), everything else is in pretty good shape.

I'm going to start to clean it up this next weekend, but it has some rust issues that I'm wondering how to treat. The chips on the edge of the lid will get sanded down and then touched up with Rust-Oleum bbq paint. The chips on the edge of the lid aren't even really rusty yet.

The rust spots on the bowl and around the handle mount on the lid, on the other hand, are where I'm stuck. For the rust spots on the bowl: should I just sand them down and just keep them cleaned up from time to time? From what I've read, paint won't stick to the bowl, as it gets too hot. The following photo is a dented spot where it looks like the porcelain enamel just chipped off.

For the rust starting around the base of the lid handle, I've read that navel jelly is an option. Do I just clean it up and then leave it untreated, keeping it cleaned up from time to time?

If all else fails, I'm ready to live with this thing and cook on it. But I'd sure like to clean up the rust spots if I can.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: Rust spots on Performer kettle
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 09:27:16 AM »
Nice score!!!

It's hard to find a high-heat paint in Hunter Green. Wouldn't hurt to check auto stores near you. Otherwise, clean the spots (don't go to bare metal) with a wire brush, slap some bacon grease on the spots, & get 'er nice & hot. That'll stall the rust for quite awhile.
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

go_home_red

• Smokey Joe
    • Analog Schemes
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 09:42:40 AM »
True on the difficulty of finding a close high heat green...I was just going to use black. Bacon grease is easier to find, though. ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 09:43:04 AM »
I gave up on fixing rust spots, as primer and paint invariably flake off.  I clean up the rust as best I can, then spray it with some canola oil to 'season' the surface.  It seems to do a good job of keeping the rust at bay.
One of the charcoal people.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 12:51:41 PM »
I gave up on fixing rust spots, as primer and paint invariably flake off.  I clean up the rust as best I can, then spray it with some canola oil to 'season' the surface.  It seems to do a good job of keeping the rust at bay.
Mike, how often do we need to oil the cancer spot? Is that something you just keep an eye on, or something you do often?