Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SuMmit Charcoal Grill cook - direct high heat flank steak  (Read 1861 times)

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
SuMmit Charcoal Grill cook - direct high heat flank steak
« on: May 02, 2016, 03:41:55 PM »
Not going to let an overcast day keep me from firing up the new grill. Dusted off what was left with previous cook (briquettes) and added some frontier lump.

After about six minutes, gas turned off as there was a good center of fuel lit. Let it ignite for an additional 5 minutes with the lid opened.

Closed the lid and flipped the rapid fire vent open

After about 15 minutes, rapid fire shut and top/bottom vents opened up 1/2.

Decided to ramp it up - opened both top and bottom full open - ready for the steak in no time

Nice bed of coals - I should have added a little more, but enough to get the job done.

Threw in a couple of small chunks of apple followed by the flank.  Temp rebound is impressive - no doubt a result of the insulated design.

After about 5 minutes on each side, pulled indirect until it read around 135 in the coolest part.

Done

I like it a bit more rare, but it was still very tender.

Next time I will add more fuel, but it is nice having the coals so close to the cooking grate for searing.

G19

• WKC Brave
Re: SuMmit Charcoal Grill cook - direct high heat flank steak
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 03:51:15 PM »
Awesome thanks for sharing.  Yes I am jealous and live vicariously through you guys. 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 03:55:53 PM »
So is this thing fun to use, or what? Oh and the beef looks great.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 04:53:54 PM »
Come on Ats, you know you wanna cook on it!!! Hells yes!! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 05:09:17 PM »
It is fun and thanks guys. I am lucky to have a wonderful wife that fully supports my obsession with cooking outdoors. This is my early 50th birthday present (turn 50 in December).

I am really digging that top damper. When it is fully open it turns the thing into a large, efficient chimney starter and gets you to temp quickly.  The one thing I would like is a one piece cooking grate. I don't have any of those gourmet pieces, so a one piece grate would be fine with me.

I hope to try to use a bge plate setter/pizza stone in it this weekend for some pizza. I bet loading it up with a bunch of lump and keeping the top damper open would make for a good pizza oven setup. I snagged the plate setter cheap off of cl a couple years ago (someone had bought the wrong size for their grill and couldn't return it). I have used it on a standard kettle with pretty good results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 03:49:32 AM »
Sell me your cooking grate! Pretty sure it'll work on one of my flat top 26's. :) :) :) :)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 08:28:35 AM »
Looks delicious. That grill is awesome, i'm really anxious to see one

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 06:30:53 AM »
Thanks for that & happy 50th (all year long)
That charcoal grate looks a pretty serious gauge...
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 02:44:04 PM »
Each cook I see makes me want one more and more...