Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: When the lid thermometer is actually telling the truth  (Read 2949 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
When the lid thermometer is actually telling the truth
« on: April 16, 2016, 02:04:16 PM »
It seldom happens, unless you get lucky. Or is it truly "luck?"

Two charcoal baskets located on opposite sides of a 22, each about 1/2 full? With a foil pan wrapped in foil in the center. So in other words, the centrally-located lid thermo is completely indirect except for whatever is wafting upwards from the sides.

Lid thermo is new, oven thermo is not but previously tested. The oven thermometer is located towards one kettle end, in the middle underneath the lid vent.

Is there a moral to this story? I dunno, but believe that if you cook more often with split baskets you get more even indirect heat that helps promote a lid thermometer to be more accurate despite the height difference. I'd love to hear of other experiences with setups like this, using old or newer style lids.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 02:26:54 PM »
When I split charcoal baskets on the sides, my lid thermometer is right on with my maverick 732, otherwise it's off by about 50 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
Re: When the lid thermometer is actually telling the truth
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 04:10:04 AM »
Interesting.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 06:08:48 AM »
Interesting, indeed.

@addicted-to-smoke , did you ever consider getting the Tel-Tru ones that were mentioned in the following thread ??

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/ode-to-the-weber-9815-(or-62538)-'dual-purpose'-thermometer/
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 06:26:14 AM »
@MacEggs I'd seen that Tel-Tru last year but didn't realize it was a viable replacement for the Weber 9815. By then I'd already bought a new 9815 the year prior for my old Performer, and lacking another machine that used this style, forgot all about it.

So on my latest purchase of two replacements, I went with the Webers which prompted that thread. But yeah, next time the Tel-Tru will be that one. Problem is, now I have 2 grills that use that and we're talking like $50 to outfit them both.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 08:06:11 AM »
How long did they stay in sync for?

Ive got a tenderloin thawing, I'll give this a shot and comment.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 08:50:59 AM »
Those two series of images were taken about 1 or 1 1/2 hours apart, as I let the heat die down. Beyond manufacturing tolerances or device health, what influences sync between two bimetal thermometers is merely location, since they register fairly slowly.

You won't be able to duplicate my results in your cook without using some kind of pan that blocks the middle (and my foil pan was reflective ...). But doing something like a lasagna or casserole in a 9x13" dish should also work. Not sure if covering the food with foil matters, although it might since mine was. Let us know!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 04:41:21 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke. I tried to duplicate your set up for tonight's cook. I used two baskets, opposite sides, about 3/4 full. I ran a digi probe up through the bottom vents sitting about an inch off the cooking grate. Also, there was a aluminum foil pan between the baskets.

I left the top vents fully opened for the first 30 minutes. The dome temp ran at 360-370 while the grate ran at 375. Very close.

I tweaked the top damper about 30 minutes in. It was reading 385, while the dome continued around 360.

For the next hour and after refueling, the temps continued to run 20 to 30 degrees apart with the dome being cooler.

Now, I was cooking on a newer performer. This is where I wonder if we differ. The temp gauge was in-between the baskets, but the vent was over one of the baskets. Dont know how much that would effect it, but I'm sure it would some.

Anyways, it was a fun experiment.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 08:16:39 PM »
Vent over a basket meant you lost some heat directly out the top, yes? I once had serious trouble getting heat from a 26 for this reason; the larger lid meant the top vent was "more centrally located" over my baskets in the middle. At least that's how it was explained to me.

Interesting that you had some lid readings lower than at the grate. Normally that wouldn't happen until the lid thermo was old, decrepit and not registering much anymore.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 11:39:11 AM »
Vent over a basket meant you lost some heat directly out the top, yes? I once had serious trouble getting heat from a 26 for this reason; the larger lid meant the top vent was "more centrally located" over my baskets in the middle. At least that's how it was explained to me.

Interesting that you had some lid readings lower than at the grate. Normally that wouldn't happen until the lid thermo was old, decrepit and not registering much anymore.
Hey ats. Been doing a shoulder all day and this is how it's been reading. Setup is different this time.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 11:45:38 AM »

Not a great pic, but storms moving in. Getting dark

Anyway, started this at 5 a.m. and has been reading together for about the duration other than the first hour or so.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:48:10 AM by Travis »

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 06:34:22 AM »
And here is my WSM. Today it is off by 80 degrees