Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Trying out the 8412 Wok for the first time  (Read 2632 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Trying out the 8412 Wok for the first time
« on: April 25, 2016, 03:27:28 PM »
Finally broke out the 8412 wok. This was a fun cook.

We had cooked a yard bird the other day and had pulled the leftovers. We had a bag of frozen stir fry veggies just begging to be used. The only thing I had to pick were the noodles.

Kids weren't having any of that so after the cook I separated the baskets and cooked up some frozen "pigs in the blankets". Forgot to get pics of it.

In hindsight there are many things I will do differently next time, but for a first cook.... Not to bad. ingredientsfire managementThe baskets are to high for the wok to sit on the tabs... Not a big deal, but lesson 1.frozen veggies and chicken addedadding noodlesfinished. Fun cook, learned some. Was very good. Definitely doing this again. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Trying out the 8412 Wok for the first time
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 03:37:09 PM »
And a varied audience too. Looks great.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 04:06:52 PM »
Yes. A couple on lookers. It was fun and turned out good. I would like to try fresh ingredients sometime and maybe a marinaded meat, but all in all, it was very good with little leftovers. How you doing tonight ats?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 04:30:57 PM »
I should be studying ... I'll read a little something related to school however if I can get the squirrels tucked in.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 04:43:07 PM »
Gotcha. Good luck with that. My crew is finishing up as well. They lay down pretty easy though. Thank goodness. Take care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 05:35:09 PM »
Thanks for posting this!  Mrs. Al and I have been taking about picking up this model wok.  We have never attempted stir fry before but we had not attempted pulled pork until a year ago.  We have been asking ourselves - what took us so long to get started, we have been missing out on this excellent food all this time.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 05:50:03 PM »
Thanks for posting this!  Mrs. Al and I have been taking about picking up this model wok.  We have never attempted stir fry before but we had not attempted pulled pork until a year ago.  We have been asking ourselves - what took us so long to get started, we have been missing out on this excellent food all this time.
Hey, you should look into that. It was very affordable, like $30. There is a lot to learn here. I'm excited to try different things.

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 03:28:55 AM »
I remember that the original directions that came with my 8412 wok said to build a pyramid of coals then press the wok down into them, it's always worked well for me.

●|||||||●

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 03:43:10 AM »
I remember that the original directions that came with my 8412 wok said to build a pyramid of coals then press the wok down into them, it's always worked well for me.

●|||||||●

Interesting. So now we need a NEW accessory, the Squat Vortex! :)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 05:59:11 AM »
As always, I forgot to read the manual! [emoji41]

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 07:02:16 AM »
Looks good to me!  I've been using recipies to make sauces from scatch that end up with way too much sauce at the end.  I haven't figured out the best way to deal with the leftover sauce in the wok at the end.  I suppose I need to use my Ove Gloves to carry the wok in to the sink, but have been too afraid to make a huge mess attempting it.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 07:08:17 AM »
Yes. A couple on lookers. It was fun and turned out good. I would like to try fresh ingredients sometime and maybe a marinaded meat, but all in all, it was very good with little leftovers. How you doing tonight ats?

The hardest part if figuring out what order to put everything into the wok so that everything is done at the same time.  I usually do veggies first, then meat, then add noodles.  I'll try to dig up the Beef w/ Broccoli recipe that I tried a few weeks ago that came out awesome.  With that recipe it calls for cooking some things, removing them, adding them later, etc.  It took me about 10 minutes to wrap my head around how to do it so that I wouldn't have to remove anything.  If I remember right the main thing I decided was to get the veggies going then add the ginger and garlic so those two items wouldn't burn up.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 08:29:24 AM »
Sounds good Mike! Thanks!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 08:47:06 PM »
Great accessory!  Would be great for grilling fajita veggies or as one WKC member did make nachos in it.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 06:04:34 AM »
You know Dave, I saw Idahawks wok nachos too, and just so happens I smoked a shoulder yesterday.... Hmm...