Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Buying a propane tank  (Read 3802 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Buying a propane tank
« on: April 08, 2016, 06:56:41 AM »
I need to buy a propane tank for my gas kettle.  Other than the small tank I bought for my performer then had filled this will be my first full sized propane tank purchase ever.  I'm going to home depot today to pick up some KBB and figured I get a tank while I was there.  Should I buy and empty tank and have it filled elsewhere, buy an empty tank and immediately exchange it for a full tank, or should I buy on of their already filled tanks?

Prices:
Empty tank:  $29.97
Full tank (no exchange):  $48.22
Tank Exchange:  $19.97

Obviously buying the full tank saves me $1.72.   I have no idea how much LP costs at gas stations, so I'm not sure if I'm better off getting the empty tank and having it filled somewhere, or just getting the already filled tank.

(MODS:  Just realized I should have posted this in the Gas Grill section....feel free to move it.)
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

VAis4BBQers

• WKC Brave
Re: Buying a propane tank
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 07:04:58 AM »
If you take the empty tank to an actual propane filling station, you'll pay significantly less than exchanging for a full tank. It looks like here in VA its about 2.70 a gallon. The tank is 4.7 gal so that's roughly 12.70 to get filled.
Crate n Barrel Grass Green - Target Copper - Blue OTG - 14 & 18 WSM

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 07:10:42 AM »
If you take the empty tank to an actual propane filling station, you'll pay significantly less than exchanging for a full tank. It looks like here in VA its about 2.70 a gallon. The tank is 4.7 gal so that's roughly 12.70 to get filled.

Ah ok....I wasn't think of the gallons vs pounds aspect.  Was thinking a 20lb tank needed 20 gallons!  LOL.  DUH!!!!!!  Now that I have come to my senses it's definitely cheaper to buy the empty tank then have it filled somewhere else!  Also explains why it only cost a few bucks to have my 4.25lb tank fille.  My girlfriend did it for me while she was running errands, so I wasn't there to see it filled.  Thanks @VAis4BBQers!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 07:12:34 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 07:29:20 AM »
Did you check CL for a tank?
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 07:47:53 AM »
Did you check CL for a tank?

I hadn't but just did and didn't really find anything close eough to make it worth it.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 08:38:16 AM »
I think Costco has empties for 21 dollars or so. Ymmv
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 09:26:09 AM »
I think Costco has empties for 21 dollars or so. Ymmv

Good call!  I think I need to stock up on some paper products so that might work.  Was initially adding the tank to my HD purchase so the I can hit the $50 mark today when buying 5 twin packs of KBB so I can use my $5 off 50 coupon.  I'm sure I can find something for a few bucks in the grilling section to get me over that $50 mark!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 10:15:31 AM »
The problem with buying your own tank is that the tanks have dates on them.  Every so often the valve may need repaired or replaced.  You may have to paint it now and then.  If you bring an out dated tank to a filling station (that's if they are reputable) they will not fill it.  The exchange is great for the fact that you get a clean and inspected tank with no worries.  I think it is the best way to go.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 10:33:54 AM »
The problem with buying your own tank is that the tanks have dates on them.  Every so often the valve may need repaired or replaced.  You may have to paint it now and then.  If you bring an out dated tank to a filling station (that's if they are reputable) they will not fill it.  The exchange is great for the fact that you get a clean and inspected tank with no worries.  I think it is the best way to go.
Tank exchange usually much more expensive than buying your own and getting it refilled at Costco.    Tanks are indeed dated,  but can be refilled for 12 years from that date iirc.    It costs me about $9 to refill a completely empty tank at Costco,  and I get a full 20lbs of propane.   Tank exchanges around here are $20 to $25 and you only get 15lbs.  So,  more than twice the cost for only 75% of the propane.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 11:08:20 AM »
@VAis4BBQers @Shoestringshop @pbe gummi bear @Davescprktl @demosthenes9 -  Thanks for all of the input.  Sounds like I need to buy a new tank then have it filled somewhere.  Costco sounds like the best bet, but Home Depot then filling it at a gas station on the way home isn't too much more and might be more convenient!  Thanks again!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 11:40:54 AM »
@VAis4BBQers @Shoestringshop @pbe gummi bear @Davescprktl @demosthenes9 -  Thanks for all of the input.  Sounds like I need to buy a new tank then have it filled somewhere.  Costco sounds like the best bet, but Home Depot then filling it at a gas station on the way home isn't too much more and might be more convenient!  Thanks again!
Just watch what they charge per gallon for the propane.   For example,  here in Louisville,  UHaul will refill but they charge twice as much as Costco.   

Edit.   Just checked,  UHaul price is 3.59 per gallon here.   Costco is under $2 per gallon.   BTW,  tank holds about 4.7 gals iirc.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 11:52:24 AM by demosthenes9 »

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 12:45:39 PM »
Look on craigslist too.  Lots of people sell or trash a crappy grill with tanks.  Then you can swap if they are in bad shape or fill if they are good.

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 12:48:19 PM »
The U-haul near me is "reputable", they will NOT refill out dated tanks, but if you ask nicely they sometimes let you take one of the "dead soldiers" for free - Then I take the outdated tank and exchange it for a refillable tank containing 15 pounds of propane. When that tank is empty, I get it refilled.
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 01:48:40 PM »
No CL tank find around me, so I am buying a new tank for sure.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 02:27:12 PM »
Interesting thread ... used tanks can be a crapshoot. I got one with my Q300 but the valve doesn't perfectly stay closed. When closed, I can come back to it a day or two later, and I can tighten it a little. A day or two later ... and I can tighten it a little again. So when I sell the grill, guess what ... the tank will go with it.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch