Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Indirect Grilling Questions  (Read 4141 times)

cnmg432

• Smokey Joe
Indirect Grilling Questions
« on: April 06, 2016, 06:30:05 PM »
I have been wanting to do more indirect grilling.   I am not talking about smoking.  The ribs and pork butts I do turn out good.   However, I grill a lot of chicken for my family.  It's usually pieces, sometimes cut up chicken with the bones or sometimes boneless and skinless.  I have been grilling it over a spread out 1 zone layer of coals and it's great.  I made myself a rotisserie for my Performer and the chicken on it just was not as well loved.   I have a new Slow N Sear and I love the way it sets up for indirect cooking, but last night I did chicken indirect using it and again the kids mentioned it was not as good as directly over the coals.   I did sear it at the last over the Slow N Sear.   What am I doing wrong?

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: Indirect Grilling Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 02:24:56 AM »
The only complaints I have gotten from cooking chicken indirect is that the skin is not as crispy. That can be fixed with a quick sear direct when it is almost done. With that being said, 99% of mine is cooked indirect..I use the Vortex for wings and legs just go in the center with the baskets on the outside and have had really good results. Same with boneless and skinless chicken breasts. The larger cuts, (1/4 chicken) seem to do better direct for me.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 05:08:06 PM »
Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but for things like boneless skinless chicken breast, especially thicker ones, I like to sear and then move off the heat to finish indirect. I do the same for steaks, I think we've called it the sear and slide here a couple of times.

Set your grill up for a two zone fire. I'll just keep it over the coals until I get the color I want and then move it over to the indirect side until it gets to temp.

Hope that helps, and I'm sure others will chime in too.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 08:38:31 PM »
Direct over the charcoal will give you more char which usually equates to more flavor.  WNC's advice is on point. Also, if your chicken is thicker, indirect but high heat usually works well to make the outside a little crispy without overcooking it
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 08:32:01 AM »
What was the internal temp of the chicken after the sear? Perhaps you went a little too far? Hard to say much with out any info on why one was better then the other.

HoneyMustard

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 09:03:24 AM »
I use the method described in this Simply Recipes article and the results are amazing every time. I sear on the hot side and then move to the cool side and add some wood chips for a nice smokey flavor. They come out perfectly crispy on the outside and moist inside.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/barbecued_chicken_on_the_grill/

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 02:18:03 PM »
Often, "not as good" is merely different from what's expected. Bone-in vs boneless will always be a different thing ... I concentrate on bone-in because the bone is a good insulator. So the entire cook becomes more forgiving and time/temp isn't as critical for either doneness or texture.

The rest is seasoning/marinade/brining or whatever.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 03:20:27 PM »
Addicted is definitely correct about the difference between bone in and boneless. Almost two completely different cooks. 99% of the time when cooking boneless breast, I cook direct, medium heat and pay attention to what's going on.
When I cook bone in meats I always use the sear and slide technique with a high heat.
If your skin isn't quite as crispy as previously, try a little higher heat or salt the skin an hour or so before, place in fridge on a wire rack for air circulation, and when you pull it out pour HOT water over the bird. The skin will pull tighter and the salt will have drawn out moisture.
Pat dry and cook.
Hope that helps bud.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 04:57:47 PM »
OK, I'm always out-there, so.....    If you've been grilling/cooking chicken for your family AND they tell you that they miss the way you USED TO COOK THE CHICKEN, who/what are you REALLY cooking for ??? ??? ???     Variety & change are both interesting and inevitable, but you have a audience that, in years to come, are going to remember and remark about how GREAT you grilled/cooked the chicken.   

My wife loves (1) me, (2) smoked beer can chicken w/o the can, and (3) smoked Roti chicken.   Does anyone think they need two guesses to determine HOW I cook chicken ;)                          SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Swamp Yankee

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 03:04:49 PM »
I like to put split chickens and parts between the two side baskets full of coals with some hickory on top. In my 22.5" Weber, the baskets fit perfectly alongside two full firebricks laying in the middle with a gap between them. I start the chimney atop the bricks, fill the baskets, brush any coals off the bricks and put a disposable aluminum pan on the bricks. The temp cranks right up and I get great crispy skin and tender chicken.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 10:43:04 PM »
OK, I'm always out-there, so.....    If you've been grilling/cooking chicken for your family AND they tell you that they miss the way you USED TO COOK THE CHICKEN, who/what are you REALLY cooking for ??? ??? ???     Variety & change are both interesting and inevitable, but you have a audience that, in years to come, are going to remember and remark about how GREAT you grilled/cooked the chicken.   

My wife loves (1) me, (2) smoked beer can chicken w/o the can, and (3) smoked Roti chicken.   Does anyone think they need two guesses to determine HOW I cook chicken ;)                          SJ
Very good point

havachat

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 02:22:52 AM »
The only complaints I have gotten from cooking chicken indirect is that the skin is not as crispy. That can be fixed with a quick sear direct when it is almost done. With that being said, 99% of mine is cooked indirect..I use the Vortex for wings and legs just go in the center with the baskets on the outside and have had really good results. Same with boneless and skinless chicken breasts. The larger cuts, (1/4 chicken) seem to do better direct for me.

I find quite the opposite. Use a little more oil and salt than you're used to and aim for that 375 off range.

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 04:50:24 PM »
@indy82z , it's interesting that you have that problem.  It's the opposite for me.  Cooking indirect, I can render the fat and get super crispy skin.  It takes time, but it happens.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 02:34:50 AM »
Sounds like I need another chicken leg cook and report the results back. It has been a while since I grilled legs.  I have no problem with wings being crispy, just larger cuts like legs. I usually crank it up and just cook them indirect and let the kettle run as hot as it wants to.