Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How To Grill Beef Short Ribs  (Read 2404 times)

cnmg432

• Smokey Joe
How To Grill Beef Short Ribs
« on: March 26, 2016, 09:04:01 AM »
My wife set out a pack of beef short ribs this morning.....so now what?  They are not thawed yet and it won't work for a long smoke yet today.  Is there a way to prepare these on my Performer that won't take to long?  Thanks!

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: How To Grill Beef Short Ribs
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 09:46:57 AM »
How much time do you have?

You can foil wrap them and braise with some liquid, them finish unwrapped. But that will still take a few hours.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 06:04:43 PM »
Beef ribs just take time.  Put em back in the freezer till you got the time! They are to delicious and expensive to rush!

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 07:53:21 PM »
when I cook them it is about 6 1/2 to 7 hour cook doing a 3-2-1 smoke like spare ribs

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 08:12:42 PM »
Beef ribs just take time.  Put em back in the freezer till you got the time! They are to delicious and expensive to rush!

Good advise this ^^^   :(           Slip down to the local meat barn and pickup some brats/burger/steaks/etc.   Quick(er) and tasty(too).                                  SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

cnmg432

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 05:42:11 AM »
Ok, thanks everybody.  I ended up foiling them and indirect high heat.   I had it about 400 degrees for 1-1/2 hours.   Also had some BBQ rub on them and a couple ice cubes in the foil packets.  They turned out good, but I will plan for more time next time.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 08:13:39 AM »
Bone in or Boneless??

@cnmg432 Late to this game, but short ribs are pretty versatile.  They are actually my current favorite cut of beef at the moment.

I buy Boneless Short Ribs and Sous Vide them, grill them, smoke, hang and reverse sear.

This article from Serious Eats should convince anyone to try them!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/the-best-inexpensive-steak-for-the-grill-part-3.html

« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 08:19:56 AM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 01:45:24 PM »
Have only made dino bones twice. The first time was really good but I have no idea what I did. I strongly suspect they were simply grilled for a little while. The 2nd time I smoked them for many hours down low and they got overcooked, dry and had virtually no meat on them. Not sure how to buy them now ... even less sure how to prevent them from drying out if too lean ... little skittish on trying again.

Looked a lot like @swamprb's second to last picture but nothing like the last picture.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 04:40:14 AM »
I cooked my first beef short ribs last friday.  I dry brined them overnight, put them on the WSM, and ran it between 220-230 for about 8 hours.  The thinner ones were done (internal hit 203-205), the thicker ones could have used another 30-60 mins (internal was only 195ish).  They were done enough, but could have been better.  I pulled them anyway because I needed to get dinner on the table.  The meat turned out awesome and I will certainly cook them again.  The downside was the rub I used.  I followed the recipe from the amazingribs website and I thought the rub was awful......everyone else agreed once I said something.  It was major pepper overload (and I LOVE pepper).  It was way overpowering.  Next time, I think I will season them like I do a roast for making roast beef sandwiches.......little more herbs, a LOT less pepper.
-Keith