Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first paella cook  (Read 1424 times)

Jason

• WKC Ranger
My first paella cook
« on: March 21, 2016, 05:31:08 AM »
I'm glad I followed through with my plan to do this cook today! Temp control was my biggest concern, but wasn't that big of a deal after I got it going. The peas and shrimp were added at the very end.

I kinda followed Alton Brown's recipe, using a kettle...--->Paella Recipe

In the end, it was very flavorful, but missing the crispy bottom. I used 1.5lbs of boneless, skinless thighs. My mom convinced me to use the peas  :P  I'll try asparagus or green beans next time  ;D  Now that I kinda know what to expect, I'll add more seafood on the next go around. 

RumBar

• WKC Brave
Re: My first paella cook
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 06:07:02 AM »
Looks great! I'm looking forward to trying it again. That was probably one of my most stressful cooks.

●|||||||●

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 06:52:12 AM »

Looks great @Jason !

That looks to be a 15-16" pan, Yes?

The recipe maybe looks a little "wet"? - 9 cups broth, tomatoes - if you know what I mean     ;D

If you want to experiment, and flirt with burning the rice to get the bottom you're looking for, maybe cut the broth to 8 cups and use drier tomatoes?   :o

Did you do the half lit / half unlit charcoal? I'm assuming he's trying to keep a more constant temp.

If so, maybe do a full chimney lit? That's what I did. I have a modded Weber chimney (flipped the bottom - holds more) that I filled short of the top. Starts out hot and fast, but then settles in as you add more ingredients, and turns to a simmer.

If it feels too hot, pull the pan off, for a minute or two, and place it onto your dedicated paella pan cooling kettle. The Green MBH works good for that. What, you don't have a dedicated paella pan cooling kettle?     ;)

And I agree, chopped asparagus, green beans...

Yours looks so good, I'm ready to do it again!

practice / eat / practice / eat / practice / eat / practice / eat

Dude, relax your chicken.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 08:27:39 AM »
Thanks for sharing , this on my to do list

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 11:37:56 AM »
Looks awesome! Can you post a link to that pan specifically?
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 12:10:58 PM »
Looks hell a good for the first cook man!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 12:27:27 PM »

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 02:30:20 PM »
That looks delicious!  I cheat and use yellow rice, but I've never tried it on the kettle.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 07:26:08 PM »
That looks to be a 15-16" pan, Yes? The pan is 14.5" on the bottom and 17" rim to rim.

The recipe maybe looks a little "wet"? - 9 cups broth, tomatoes - if you know what I mean     ;D  It seemed like all of the liquid got absorbed, but was still a bit wet, like you suggested. I don't think the recipe specified the type of rice, just short or medium grain. I used Arborio rice. It didn't seem overdone, or gooey, it just didn't have the crispy bottom I was hoping for. Maybe higher heat at the end would help?

Did you do the half lit / half unlit charcoal? I'm assuming he's trying to keep a more constant temp. I started with about 3/4 of a fully lit large chimney and added some unlit about half way through the cook.

Thanks for all the input and positive feedback guys! Now that I have done this cook, I feel confident enough to start tweaking it to my liking. It will also be a nice option for feeding 6-8 people that doesn't take too much time. My fire was fine and won't change that much. The moisture level and type of rice are what I'm gonna work on for the next go around.