Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: St. Pattys Entry -- Smoked corned beef, grilled cabbage, carrots, potatoes  (Read 1694 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
First time attempted for smoked corned beef, or corned beef cooked any way at all outside, although the fundamentals are as with other meats. The veggies all had something different about them as well I've never done before.

I lit a few coals, not many because it's warmer now and the last time I used my WSM it ran away from me. Not an issue this time.

As it happened, it never went above 150 with that until I added more charcoal. Then, it locked onto 250 as if the gauge was stuck.:)  And I didn't even have to completely shut everything down this time. Hmm ...

The beef had been soaked in water for 2 nights, then patted dry and seasoned with Dijon mustard, freshly ground coriander and savory.

At 3 hours in it was at about 160 and I wrapped the meat. Imagine a photograph of aluminum foil here, covering something you can't see. :)

Over on the kettle I then got some veggies going. Sliced-up red potatoes and carrots, with buttah and Charlie's Choice seasoning. Indirect at about 350 between two char baskets. Worked great.

Got a free truck wash during this. And I only had to re-do one or two spots. :)

At about the 5 hour mark the meat was done, the heat was abating on the smoker so I just let it ride. The meat stayed at like 195.

With carrots and potatoes done, I wrapped and removed them. I also pulled the meat off. This stuff got placed into faux-faux cambrias. Imagine pictures here of foil-covered food either sitting in a closed microwave or closed oven.

OK, finally the cabbage. I cut a cabbage head into 8 wedges and coated them with a mixture of Dijon mustard and Rose's Lime Juice.

Wait, that's not the right picture. This one is?

The beef had a nice, thin and even bark. It was a risk for the daughter, who only knew boiled/crockpot (stringy, fall-apart ...) corned beef. I told her to go look up "pastrami."

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jon

• WKC Ranger
I'm convinced. That is some great looking food. Very nice job with the pictures.

But that car wash won't end up free in the long run. Don't kid yourself.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Oh but you didn't know it was her birthday yesterday and letting her wash it was a "treat." Bwahahah! This is a kid who unwrapped such exotica as a pack of Mac-n-cheese boxes and a cup of donut holes, too. We don't exactly spoil 'em too much.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Darko

• WKC Performer
Wow! that looks fantastic.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Very nice cook man, and got the kid to wash the truck!!!! Good day all around. How you like that Smithwicks ale?

austin87

• WKC Ranger
That's looking awesome! My girlfriend is insisting on "traditional" boiled corned beef (tomorrow night) so I'm making a go tonight, but not sure it's going to compete with some of these great looking cooks.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Yeah this won't be fall-apart tender like boiled corned beef or even like pulled pork. It'll have a different flavor profile of course, especially if add smoke wood (I didn't.) But it's the veggies that pick up the smoke flavor the most here and for me that makes it worth it.

@Travis I like a nice English-style ale every now and then and that Irish one is very similar IMO. The Nitro Guinness IPA also in the pix was just OK. Sometimes nitro really wakes up a beer and sometimes (like here) it mostly turns it into a creamy drink.

Sam Adams is currently doing a nitro IPA, sold in 4-pk tallboys that's much better I think. Shame about the label however; looks like they're selling iced tea? https://www.samueladams.com/craft-beers/nitro-ipa

SixZeroFour

The bark on that looks amazing ATS - nice cook up!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
That plateUP pic is really great.  I'd love to try the Pastrami.   Tradition in Newport dictates that a B&T is Guinness Stout over Smithwicks, trickle the Guinness over a tablespoon touching the side of the glass  ...  ummmmm, think I'll go make one right now :)                                           SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".