Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: pork loin bites  (Read 2146 times)

GrillenGrizz55

• Smokey Joe
pork loin bites
« on: February 06, 2016, 06:53:41 AM »
Anyone tried using a boneless pork loin roast to make burnt ends.This will be my 4th time to do this and it works really good.I pick up 2 10lb loins on sale for $15.Today I will inject them with butter garlic then in the fridg overnight,Pull them, let stand to room temp then, slice them alittle over 1in thick.Coat each 1 with mustard and rub.I then sear them couple mins per side.Just got my new vortex today I will use it to sear them.With heavy smoke I use hickory wood chunks,I smoke them to 150 deg.Then cube them 1x1.Into the pan adding rub and a light dusting of brn sugar then alittle more smoke about an hour.They then start to really look like burnt ends.Add bbq sauce and rub/brn sugar again alite dusting.I use a sweet/heat rub cookem about 30/45 mins.Somewhat burnt and a moist inside.The price of the p/loin @7.50 each is the best part.Also doing wings / legs,cant wait to try the vortex.Also got a open box thermo pen today just like xmas lol.Enjoy the superbowl.                         Grizz

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: pork loin bites
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 07:29:13 AM »
That sounds like a great way to cook up some pork loin.
I would love to see some pictures of it!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

GrillenGrizz55

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 05:25:44 AM »
I will do my best to take some pictures.This will be my 1st time to use the vortex, I will be searing the slices.What I not sure about is how much charcoal to use. I have the med size vortex but this thing looks huge.I figure about 20 slices,30wings,25legs +-.In the past I used the 2 baskets pushed together, so the heat from the vortex is going to be much higher.Faster burn time? Once the searing is done I will move them to the other kettle with a lower heat and smoke.Do the legs next.I am guessing around 45 min,wings about 30/40 min.Alittle trial/error time,by the way this crowd eats an drinks it should not matter lol.Enjoy the sb.          Grizz

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 06:30:16 AM »
I was thinking of trying to do something similiar to that.  Its sounds fantastic and I do love pork and pork loins are one of my absolute favorite things to grill.  Might have to try you technique out.  Thanks for sharing.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

GrillenGrizz55

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 07:45:42 AM »
Wasn't able to take pictures this time around, will try in the future.This was my 1st time using the vortex and it cut my time in half as for as searing.I also sliced them into 1in strips searing 4 out 6 sides,those slices were slow smoked on the other pit then cubed an into the pan.I do have a question for those who have the vortex,how much charcoal are you using?I dump 2 chimney loads into it and still could have added more.The wings an chicken legs also turn out great.much faster time also.           Grizz

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 06:24:10 AM »
I will be checking back.  Always interested in pics.  I used my Vortex a few times and I normally have small end up and use a whole chimney full.  If I go big side up for more area then I know I can get more charcoal in if I needed to.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)