Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SNS cook with some bonus data  (Read 1374 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
SNS cook with some bonus data
« on: February 17, 2016, 08:59:08 AM »
I did my first hot cook with my slow-n-sear last night.  Filet Mignon and asparagus.  Everything came out really good and I'm am very pleased with how well the SNS performed.

Steaks were reverse seared to 115 then rested for about 10 minutes while I let some added coals really get cranking.  I stuffed one of the steaks with Brie for my gf.  Cut a small slit in the side of the steak then used the knife to create a pocket in the steak. I found a package of individually wrapped Brie bites and used one of them.  I had to cut it into a few peaches so it would fit through the slit in the side of the steak, then I used a few toothpicks to make sure the slit stayed closed.  These little Brie bites are great.  In the past ever time I buy Brie for her steaks we use enough for the steak then the rest gets lost in the cheese drawer and usually goes bad before she thinks about it again.  Anyway, steaks went back on over the hot coals for maybe a minute per side then were pulled off and loosely covered. Up next was the asparagus with EVOO and Koehler salt over direct heat.   The asparagus was very thin so it only took a few minutes.  Once the asparagus was taken off of the grill I hit it with some fresh lemon juice and plated up. 

Filets with McCormick's seasoned salt, garlic powder, and Montreal steak seasoning.  Couldn't find my onion powder or that would have been added as well.

Asparagus ready to go

Immediately after they were finished.  Don't remember what temp reading was, went more by feel at this point than temp.  The steak did continue to go up in temp while they rested between the indirect cooking and the sear by 12-15 degrees

Steaks once inside the house

Her plate.  You can see some Brie bubbling out.

My plate

My steak with some different views

Here is the Brie.  Very convenient to have it individually wrapped.

BONUS DATA!!!!!!!!
I was bored while watching the Caps games and waiting for my GF to get home from work, so I decided to run a test with the SNS.  I loaded up my mini chimney with KBB and got it fully lit then dumped it in the SNS on my 22 SS Performer.  I let the kettle settle in for 10-15 minutes with my gourmet grate with the center removed.  I put a probe over the hot coals then on on the indirect side.  After it settled in I started writing down the temp readings every five minutes.   

The setup.  You can see both probes on the cooking grate.

Here are the results:

Don't forget this was just a full MINI CHIMNEY, not a full sized chimney.  I didn't want to waste too many coals.  Also note that I did not have any water I the SNS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 01:17:28 PM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Re: SNS cook with some bonus data
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 12:36:37 PM »
Great looking Filets, and asparagus is my "go to" for any cook like that one.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

3sSecurity

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 09:02:46 PM »
Steaks look tasty.  I've never had steak with brie, I'll have to give that a shot one of these days.

Thanks for posting the numbers, I would have thought the indirect side would have been lower than what you're reading

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 06:03:49 AM »

Thanks for posting the numbers, I would have thought the indirect side would have been lower than what you're reading

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I had my lid vent over the indirect side.  I'm thinking that moving it over the direct side wouldprobably lower the indirect side while either keeping the direct side the same or possibly having slightly higher temps.  The next time I'm bored I'll run the same test with the lid vent over the coals.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 10:43:12 PM »
Looks great Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk