Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Big ass porterhouses  (Read 1452 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Big ass porterhouses
« on: February 16, 2016, 12:15:37 AM »
I haven't been that active on the site lately. I've been looking for a new job, exercising, and trying to lose some weight (down 15 lbs so far).

I've been cooking a little but it's been primarily for fuel and not the most interesting of cooks.

This past weekend my girlfriend's parents were in town so my folks came over and we had a nice dinner. I picked up two 21 day dry aged, prime porterhouse steaks from a local specialty shop. 2" thick each. I followed the Serious Eats guide pretty closely, but didn't prop them up, I just laid them flat on the grill with the NY strip side closer to the fire. http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/06/the-food-lab-slow-smoked-40-ounce-dry-aged-porterhouse-steak.html

I used pecan wood for smoke as I didn't want to overdo it with hickory or mesquite. I did a pretty piss poor job of documenting but it was perfect. Edge to edge pink and awesome crust.

The two steaks fed 6 of us with a little leftover. Unfortunately that is the only shot I got between socializing and drinking a ton of wine.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Big ass porterhouses
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 03:08:57 AM »
Those look perfect!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 02:07:53 PM »
That's the money shot ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 03:34:49 PM »
Awesome!
Glad to see you back and posting @austin87 !

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 09:44:32 AM »
Lot of money there ,look beautiful.love to cook THICK steaks

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 11:42:38 AM »
You had me at "Big ass porterhouses"

Nice looking steaks there and thanks for the link.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 11:48:52 AM »

I did a pretty piss poor job of documenting but it was perfect. Edge to edge pink and awesome crust.

I think you did a great job documenting it.  It looks like one of those now you see it now you don't steaks that have never been fully documented.  At least you got a quick pic a the now you see it phase!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!