Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Smoke on the Weber Kettle  (Read 3005 times)

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
First Smoke on the Weber Kettle
« on: February 06, 2016, 04:43:59 PM »
I posted this on another forum to so I've posted my first post a long with my responses to questions.

I tried my first attempt at smoking tonight. I got a chance to try out the slow n' sear. I started the pork shoulder after work and it took a lot longer than I thought. I think underestimated the amount of meat that was there. I figured this thing would cook in under 5hrs but it took over six to get the internal temp to 185. I couldn't wait any longer and pulled it wrapped it in foil and I'm letting it rest or 30-40min.

I found it hard to control the range. I couldn't keep a constant temp. It would stay at 270 then I'd drop it down and it would go down to about 240 then slowly creep back up. It kept bouncing back and forth from 240-270. I got it to hang at 250 and 265 for about 30min.

I used Kingsford blue bag briquettes. Started everything as recommended 8-10 lit coals on the corner then fill the rest of the slow n' sear. Added some hickory wood chunks and filled the water reservoir.

I will admit I didn't fill as much charcoal as the slow n' sear would hold. I did that because I didn't think I was going to be cooking for over 4hrs.

Taste was good, texture was in between pullable and having to slice it. It didn't discourage me from trying it again. My family liked it and can't wait for me to do it again.

The kettle is new. I had to play with the vents A LOT. I'd say I had to go and make an adjustment every 30min or so. Tracked quite a bit of moss into the house.

I would mainly watch the temp using a maverik E72. Once the temp dropped to near 240 I'd go out and increase the bottom vent and open the top vents, once the temp started going in the other direction I'd almost close the top vent and let it creep up. I noticed if I let the top vent open too long and the temp started creeping fast no matter what I did would really slow it down outside of almost closing both vents. Then when the temp climbed up near 260 I would start closing the bottom vent and top vent to until the temp stopped climbing. Then as it dropped I'd open the top vent some then adjust the bottom one. It was a pain but not so bad I was getting frustrated. Only bad part was that I was cooking a lot later at night than I expected and the outside temp dropped probably 15-20degrees from when I started. It had to be close to 45 or colder outside when I was done with the cook.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 04:47:14 PM by BBQFiend »
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Re: First Smoke on the Weber Kettle
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 05:32:57 PM »
It takes practice man. Just keep going at it every chance you get. Do dry runs, try to figure out what works. Every grill is different. Try to not adjust the top vent too much. Close down the bottom vent a little at a time. Once you load it up and you are 25-30 degrees from your target, close down the bottom vent a little and let it climb slowly. 270 is fine for the shoulder. I am usually in that range. Helps it get through the stall. You want that internal at 203. It will fall apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 05:43:16 PM »
Bark looks really nice......

If I'm remembering, you got one new, right?

A new model will take a few times to get some build up on the lip of the bowl & the inside rim of the lid & it will then seal better & cook a bit more consistently.....suggest not cleaning those surfaces, or very light cleaning if you must.....

As for temps, 240~270 is almost no swing at all....think of it......as a section of fuel (briquettes, lump, wood) catches, the temp will go up some.....as those burn thru, it will drop a little, and then the next burn area will begin with a minor upswing.......75 ~100 degrees is a swing that you might want to do something about......

Here's a set for a brisket cook on an older 26".......daisy wheel vents on the underside (just like the lid vent on all Webers)
This set ran about 7~8 hours between, yep, you guessed it, 240 & 270........all vents open (the lid is always all open to not choke the airflow & allow for as much exhaust as possible....crimping down can lead to stalled stale smoke in the cook chamber) no vent adjustments for 11 hours....the kettle does the work, just like it was designed to operate..........

Therm is at about 260 here....

Then fuel was added to finish up.......

It's running at night, by itself, without me checking on it, so temp spikes do what they will with no help or interference from me or the dogs (who help extensively with all BBQ's)

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 06:12:22 PM »
Listen to 1buckie.  He knows his kettles.  Only comment I would make is it sounds like you were chasing temps and adjusting the vents too much.  Personally I always leave the top vent wide open. I also agree temp swings of 30* isn't that bad. 

Either way, it sounds like you enjoyed it and put out good meat, so I consider it a win.  Part of the fun is learning something new every time.  Great post and looking forward to the next cook.
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 07:50:00 PM »
Great advice so far. I also leave the top vent open all the time. The idea of shutting down the bottom vents as you approach your target is the move.

As said before each kettle will be a little different, but generally when I'm looking for low temps on my one touch systems the bottom vents will just barely be open, I mean like the tiniest sliver. Of course fuel choice and outside temps and set up all come into play, but that's even in 20-30 degree weather.

Butts and shoulders take a pretty long time too. I just put one on an hour ago that I plan on eating tomorrow during the game, so it's cooking over night. For pulled, it's done when a probe slides in like warm butter all over. I don't even really check temps on butts anymore and just go by feel, because tender can happen anywhere between 198-203.

Just keep playing around and find out what you and your family like, pretty soon you'll get it down pat, and be sleeping through long cooks!

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 11:23:59 AM »
Like has been said, the only time I adjust the top vent is when I'm shutting it down after the cook.  I'm just getting used to the SnS myself.  There is a little bit of a learning curve to all of this and, the best news is: even eating your mistakes is usually pretty damn good ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 11:32:30 AM »
I don't have anything else to add that hasn't already been said here.  I too keep my top vent wide open.  I did my first smoke with the SNS a few weekends ago and found it a bit tricky to control the temps as well.  I need to do a few more to get it dialed in.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:34:09 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 09:39:51 AM »
@BBQFiend if i read it right you pour your lit in then the unlit?  If so try unlit then the lit and follow what has been said by the others.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

apt323

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 12:54:27 PM »
I love the SNS. 

I pretty much run like @WNC . Wide open top vent, ever so slight sliver on the one touch.  Sometimes i have to use a flashlight and shine up from the bottom to make sure there is even a sliver open.  I have used it on 2 different kettles and one likes to run about around 275 and the other one is in the 260 range.  Also i dont really get any change in temp until i get close to burning up all the charcoal and then it slowly goes down. 
WANTED - Colored Jumbo Joe (18")

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 06:33:00 AM »
Pork butt is great for a first smoke.  They can handle fairly wide temp swings.  For me 250-280 is ok.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:52:19 AM by Davescprktl »
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson