Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow’n Sear Pastrami  (Read 3075 times)

JDD

• WKC Ranger
Slow’n Sear Pastrami
« on: January 25, 2016, 09:00:29 AM »
I’ve been wanting to break in my new SNS and got this idea while watching a television show about Katz’s Deli in NYC.  This show got me craving for a NY deli style pastrami sandwich so I decided to give it a try.  It turns out pastrami is basically nothing more than a cured beef brisket that has been smoked & steamed.  I got this recipe off amazingribs.com. Sorry about the large and poor quality photos, still working on that.

Set up the SNS and added a little cherry wood

Rubbed and ready to go

Here's what it looked after about two hours.

Pulled it off after about 6 hours, internal temp was right at 150. Wrapped it in foil and let it rest in the refrigerator over night.

Here's what it looked like after I steamed it until the temp reached 203.

Man was it good!

May The Smoke Be With You!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Slow’n Sear Pastrami
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 09:05:14 AM »
I have a frozen corned beef brisket leftover from St. Patrick's day - I think I got it from Costco. I might have to try the pastrami route on it, that looks amazing!

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 12:31:27 PM »
@austin87 Yes that will work, you can either cure your own beef brisket or just use an uncooked store bought corned beef.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 01:56:01 PM »
Looks amazing!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 03:00:14 PM »
That last shot is a home run - great looking meal!!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 03:38:26 PM »
What was your method to steam it? Looks damn good! Il like a little mustard on it. Mmm hmm.
Still need a 22” yellow

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 05:28:37 PM »
@TheDude  Right on the stove top in a large pot with a steamer stand.

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 06:16:55 AM »
Great looking pastrami JDD.
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 09:13:24 AM »
That looks fantastic!  Definitely going to put that on my list.  Well Done @JDD

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 09:16:21 AM »
What was your method to steam it? Looks damn good! Il like a little mustard on it. Mmm hmm.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 10:44:09 AM »
Wow. I'll have a Reuben, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 05:25:49 AM »
Still trying to grok the ins and outs of this. I would have never guessed beef could look so pink on the inside after having been cooked once at 150 and then again to 200. It's not raw, so what gives it that color?

I also have a question about using the roasting rack. Does it do more than help place/remove the meat from grill (even though you still have to use a cookie sheet or something to carry to the kitchen to avoid drops on the ground or floor)?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 07:29:54 AM »
Still trying to grok the ins and outs of this. I would have never guessed beef could look so pink on the inside after having been cooked once at 150 and then again to 200. It's not raw, so what gives it that color?

I also have a question about using the roasting rack. Does it do more than help place/remove the meat from grill (even though you still have to use a cookie sheet or something to carry to the kitchen to avoid drops on the ground or floor)?
The curing process causes the pink color.  Nitrates in the brine convert the natural hemoglobin in beef  to methaemoglobin which gives it the pink color. Nitrates naturally exist in a lot of fruit, vegetable and grains. Sodium Nitrate (pink salt) is often added to corned beef for color, flavor, and  to prevent bacterial growth.

No real need for the roasting rack, it just seemed like a good idea at the time. The rack was handy, my cooking grates had not been cleaned in a while so I just threw it on the rack.

The_Masteres

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 07:26:58 AM »
I posted today to know if anyone ever cooked  Montreal style smoked meat, and finally found your post about NY Katz pastrami which appears similar.

Unfortunately the pics are no longer working, would you mind posting the pics again (if you still have it of course).

Thx !