Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Carolina Mop Sauce ?  (Read 1765 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Carolina Mop Sauce ?
« on: January 14, 2016, 07:23:58 PM »
My Seahawks face the Carolina Panthers this Sunday and I've smoked a shoulder in advance to serve to the guests , I've made a vinegar/ mustard based sauce and I'm looking for some ideas for another spicy vinegar based sauce to go with these sandwiches as well , maybe something that doesn't use so much black pepper for heat but maybe something hotter ? I'd like something tried and true so if your a fan of the vinegar based sauces please share your favorite recipe . A Tennessee white sauce ( I know it's not closely related )  might be cool as well and I've already got a sweet sauce for the vinegar haters covered.

Good luck to everyone's teams this weekend ! And happy cooking :)

Go Hawks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Carolina Mop Sauce ?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 08:26:35 PM »
I've done sort of a combo of both these depending on what my tastebuds desire for the day. I have also added about 1/2 cup of yellow mustard - which isn't super traditional but can be a nice addition if you want the sauce just a bit thicker (mustard is mostly vinegar anyways).

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/east_carolina_BBQ_sauce.html

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/58486/eastern-north-carolina-bbq-sauce/

I also like it spicier than these recipes if it's just for me but I usually keep the guests in mind. If you don't have time to let it sit for a couple days (it sounds like you will) you can also gently cook it in a stainless steel pot to speed up the melding of flavors. Make sure it's stainless steel - I ruined an aluminum pot and the sauce in it once.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 01:42:42 AM »
I found this recipe (cant remember what its called) a while ago and is so good I could drink it straight from the bottle. Never do pulled pork without it!!! The cumin really gives it an outstanding flavor. Trust me on this one, it is outstanding!!

2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1 cup light brown sugar
½ cup water
2 TBS yellow mustard
1.5 TBS Kosher salt
1 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS paprika (don't use a spicy hot variety; I prefer a bright red Spanish paprika)
1 ½ tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp fine ground black pepper
½ tsp ground sage
½ tsp granulated garlic
½ tsp cumin
Dash ground cayenne pepper (or to taste)

Add ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a simmer stirring often. Let sauce simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, remove from heat, cool, and serve. Store in the refrigerator. It gets better after a couple of days too.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 05:43:43 AM »
 Nice...thank you guys !  Yes I will let it sit for a couple days :)

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 05:47:52 AM »
Let me know if you make that sauce, never met anyone who did not love it.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 07:19:47 AM »
Hey @Idahawk

I'm born and raised North Carolina, in fact I can't even image having pulled pork with out a vinegar sauce. My go to is simple, like the way it should be.

2 cups apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon  salt
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper

This is the shit on PP. You don't even have to heat it up, just stir it around until the salt and sugar dissolve

There's a pretty famous pitmaster around here, and I saw him on tv talking about his his sauce. He was like, "I always have these guys come up to me talking about sauces with ton of ingredients." He said, "Mine just has three, salt, vinegar, and sugar." I like to think about that when I make this one.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:24:21 AM by WNC »

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 08:34:22 AM »
Thanks @WNC , your recipe is a staple in my kitchen !

K.I.S.S  keep is simple stupid is always the way I like to roll and at the same time I love to try new and different ideas .

If your Panthers fan , good luck today !

Go Hawks !

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 09:11:04 AM »
@Idahawk
No not a Panthers fan. Maybe even worse as far as you would be concerned...GO PATS!!!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 10:36:02 AM »

@Idahawk
No not a Panthers fan. Maybe even worse as far as you would be concerned...GO PATS!!!

If the pats face Carolina in the SB , I'm rooting for the Pats !