Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Deconstructed chicken  (Read 1789 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Deconstructed chicken
« on: December 15, 2015, 09:28:33 PM »
I needed 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts to go in something else I was making. The fucking things were $10 for 2 breasts! And right next to it was a whole free range organic Rocky chicken weighing 4.91 lbs for $9.90... Well I'm no fool and it gave me a chance to practice breaking down a bird and cooking it in pieces - possibly influenced by @BBcue-Z 's deconstructed turkey  8) - and I'm slowly getting better at breaking the whole bird. I can now remove the oyster with the thigh, it just takes me a little while.

2 wings, 2 whole legs, 1 whole breast, and 1 back (possibly influenced by @MacEggs soup post  :o)

22" OTG gets the call, use charcoal rails, a little leftover RO lump, and a nearly full chimney on top. Chunk of pecan on the cooking grate

Started skin side down, then flipped to finish

The wings were a snack for the cook, the legs got split and saved for later, and the breasts got carved for a chicken and broccoli frittata destined for breakfast on a birthday wine bus.

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
Re: Deconstructed chicken
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 02:11:04 PM »
@austin87
That looks great!!
I know what you mean about chicken breasts prices. I can get a whole chicken around here for under $5 and cut it any way I want. It really is the best way to go. I buy a whole lamb from Costco for about $120 and they sell 1 leg of lamb at the store for around $50. I usually break it down into primary cuts and have enough meat for a month, but that’s a subject for another thread :)

I really like those grill marks and the way the skin turned out. Did you put the pieces all at once or added them based on size?

The Frittata looks great too!!

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 03:18:39 PM »
Looks fantastic! Frittata look delicious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 06:43:02 PM »
@BBcue-Z i put them all on at the same time, started skin side down. The grill was hot, 400-450, so it got those marks just from the grates, none of the pieces ever saw direct heat. I flipped them after 15-20 minutes to finish and crisp the skin for another 35-40 minutes (I think, wasn't paying too much attention to time). I pulled the breast and wings when I took the pic and let the legs go for maybe 10 minutes more, so next time I'll start them a little earlier.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 02:25:14 PM »
Excellent Yardbird ! ! !

I do the same thing except I save the backs & wingtips for stock.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 06:30:41 PM »
Excellent Yardbird ! ! !

BD

@Big Dawg the smoked back is in a back in the freezer for precisely that reason  8) I think I threw the wing tips in there as well but I don't remember

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 06:34:24 PM »
Awesome technique and cool!  Have spatchcocked but never totally deconstructed a chicken.  Will have to try it after xmas when I will hopefully have some new kitchen shears.  My thanksgiving turkey pretty much killed my crappy old shears!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 06:48:54 PM »
Chicken looks great Austin! I often find myself in the store buying what's on sale, rather than what I went in for.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 01:29:43 PM »
Excellent Yardbird ! ! !

BD

@Big Dawg the smoked back is in a back in the freezer for precisely that reason  8) I think I threw the wing tips in there as well but I don't remember

D@mn, @austin87, never thought of doing that ! ! !  Great tip ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna