Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Turkey tips?  (Read 2050 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Turkey tips?
« on: November 23, 2015, 03:14:54 AM »
I'll be BBQing my first turkey for Thanksgiving. I've done quite a bit of research and would like to share my plan for those in a similar situation.

My turkey was frozen and contained a 6% solution of whatever. This has ruled out a wet brine for me. I am planning to proceed with a dry brine.

I am going to spatchcock the bird and apply the dry brine: kosher salt, black pepper, sugar, lemon zest, and pulverized herbs (sage, thyme, rosemary). I will let this sit in the fridge uncovered for 2 days.

The 26er will be set up indirect with baskets and drip pan (for gravy base). I'll add a little smoke in the first hour and let it ride till 165 in the breast.

Any input on my plan?

Edit: I was also considering a butter based injection of some kind..
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 05:00:53 AM by jdefran »

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Turkey tips?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 03:32:56 AM »
So, 48 hours with the dry brine? 
I have never done that with a turkey, but it may be a little too long …. BWTFDIK.

I have done a 36 hour wet brine before, and I found that was too long.  I now stick with a 24 hour wet brine, then air dry for 12-18 hours in the fridge un-covered.

All said, your plan sounds great, so please report back with pics and your take on all of it.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 04:32:31 AM »
Ok thank you for the input. I guess there wouldn't be anything wrong with doing a 24 hour dry brine, I can put it on Wednesday afternoon.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 05:28:42 AM »
Turkey has been discussed a ton here and the TVWBB lately.

Cant comment much on the brining side of things for the cook itself (especially first one) check out:
http://www.weber.com/recipes/poultry/brined-and-barbecued-turkey-with-pan-gravy

This is more or less what i followed last year and it worked well.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Erich

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 03:22:30 PM »
Go light on the salt in your rub or your drippings will be so salty the gravy is inedible.  Don't ask me how I know :(

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 03:34:27 PM »
Go light on the salt in your rub or your drippings will be so salty the gravy is inedible.  Don't ask me how I know :(

Depending on what the label says exactly you might want to go with a salt free rub.

Only other thing is to make sure temps are 300+ or the skin won't get crispy and rubbery poultry skin is nasty.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 04:34:06 PM »

Depending on what the label says exactly you might want to go with a salt free rub.

Only other thing is to make sure temps are 300+ or the skin won't get crispy and rubbery poultry skin is nasty.
@austin87 The label says 'contains up to 6% absorbed water'. I search for an ingredients list on the package and couldn't find one.

For temp I'm shooting for 325