Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Legs for lunch  (Read 1943 times)

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
Legs for lunch
« on: October 24, 2015, 06:50:58 PM »
Used the vortex with some cherry and hickory,  took about 40 minutes

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
Re: Legs for lunch
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 06:56:55 PM »
Man all these pictures are making me want a vortex

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 07:03:41 PM »
I love the vortex but it's all I know. I just got the kettle and vortex in September,  never used kettle without it

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 07:05:52 PM »
Damn good looking.  Don't regret my vortex purchase one bit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 05:27:41 AM »
That last pic is nearly convincing me to order a vortex!
Chicken looks great!

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 07:52:54 AM »
Those look really tasty, I sure enjoy my vortex, thanks for sharing
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 06:40:33 AM »
Guys, I almost bought a vortex a couple of months ago but I saw a couple of posts about it possible creating too much heat and ruining grates, lid handle welds, etc.  Has anyone run into any issues?  It looks like a great accessory but I'm not willing to sacrifice a grill to have one.  I must say, these pictures do look awesome.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 07:47:07 AM »
Guys, I almost bought a vortex a couple of months ago but I saw a couple of posts about it possible creating too much heat and ruining grates, lid handle welds, etc.  Has anyone run into any issues?  It looks like a great accessory but I'm not willing to sacrifice a grill to have one.  I must say, these pictures do look awesome.

I have not seen any issues so far, but I also use it only on a $10 craigslist beater grill.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 08:11:35 AM »

Last night I did wings with the vortex using lump, which appears to burn quite a bit hotter than KBB.  It was only my second time using lump so I am still getting used to it.  I had just enough to fill my chimney 3/4 of the way, which filled the medium vortex about half way.  It didn't seem to be as hot when I first put the wings on, but after the first flip of the wings which had the lid off for 2-3 minutes it was screaming hot with my lid thermo tapped out.  I like to flip my wings 3 times, and last night when I was done after about 30-32 minutes, the center of my cooking grate was glowing red.  After the wings I cooked some romaine so I actually moved my grate to another grill for 5 minuntes or so to cool back down before putting it back over the vortex to direct cook my romaine.  I can see where the vortex could potentially cause damage, but my grate is still in good shape.   I  would say that with the vortex you need to be easy on your lid handle as it gets the brunt of the heat.  I was wondering last night if the vortex might be part of the reason Weber went with bolt on lid handles recently.   Wings came out amazing as always but the way!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 08:57:22 AM »
@bigmikey how do you do those chicken leg lollipops with the bone exposed? Are you cutting meat away or cutting it near the knuckle joint on the bottom end and pushing the now freed leg meat up to the thick part?

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 09:01:13 AM »
I cut near the knuckle joint and push meat down. Then trim off any loose tendons I can get to. Plenty of videos on YouTube to watch