Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork Butt on the Chief *All Finished*  (Read 3597 times)

WNC

• WKC Performer
Pork Butt on the Chief *All Finished*
« on: October 23, 2015, 04:38:41 PM »
Started off with the snake method. Stubbs and a little lump pieces in there for burn assurance. Cherry and hickory for smoke.
The ring I made to keep coals off the side of the 'cado to prevent crazing. Turns out it works perfect as a fuse guide in the 26er.

About a nine pounder with a base coat of @jamesnomore rub followed by a coating of my rub. I was gonna go with all of James' rub but I want to make it last. 

Onto the Chief

Planning on trying a few thing different this cook:
I'm shooting for 225 degrees (I usually cook between 250-275)
I'm also thinking about not wrapping

There's not strict time table for when this one needs to be served, so I feel like I've got the freedom to play around. This was really more a cook for the Chief than anything else. I couldn't wait to cook on him, so I gave myself a reason. We'll make some pulled pork nachos when it's done, and probably again on Sunday for the games.

I'll update in the morning
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:21:19 PM by WNC »

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pork Butt on the Chief
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 04:46:27 PM »
Very nice! I think you'll find it will take a bit longer and maybe go through more of a stall without wrapping at the lower temp. But you'll have a killer bark. Think you'll be happy with it especially coming off the Chief!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 06:06:40 PM »
Damn! I like the Chief more every time I see him.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 08:22:49 PM »
I like the sound of that combo of rubs. I never foil, you will not be disappointed especially with the crust you get. Let's see the chief with his hat on.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 05:54:12 AM »
Here's what I found when I woke up this morning, and after a mop with my vinegar sauce.

My temps were running just at 200, so I beefed up my snake a little by adding more coals across the top. Only my 2nd time running a snake, I'm still learning here...

I like the sound of that combo of rubs. I never foil, you will not be disappointed especially with the crust you get. Let's see the chief with his hat on.

For you James. And it's not a hat for the Chief, it's a Headdress.  :)

And then this was for my poor dog. The remote thermometer I've got beeps every ten minutes or so when it thinks you're past your target temp. Unfortunately, you can't set what your target temp should be, and it thinks you're measuring the food, while I am really measuring grate temp.

So, it keeps beeping at me telling me I'm past 170, which is the highest preset temp, and it drives my poor dog nuts! He hides in the bathroom and shakes, his name is Hercules by the way...HA! I opened it up and disconnected the speaker. Now I don't have be annoyed every ten minutes and my poor dog can relax.

Just to prove it works again

One question:
I'm not wrapping, which I usually do. Do you wrap after it hits tender to let it rest? And how does that affect the bark?

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 06:08:37 AM »
I still wrap, usually double heavy duty foil to seal it in, a blanket and into the cooler for one hour (longer if needed). The bark will soften up a bit but it's going to be thick and flavorful. I pull just over 200 internal, never over 205.

Funny story about the therm, my dogs would just chew it apart cause there assholes ;)

I was looking for that word and couldn't come up with it. That's a beautiful grill, you're a lucky man.

I've found snakes in a 26er run much cooler than in a 22, that same snake in a 22 would be running high 200's. We're any of the bottom daisies blocked? That would restrict airflow and drop your temps.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 07:17:09 AM »
I still wrap, usually double heavy duty foil to seal it in, a blanket and into the cooler for one hour (longer if needed). The bark will soften up a bit but it's going to be thick and flavorful. I pull just over 200 internal, never over 205.

Funny story about the therm, my dogs would just chew it apart cause there assholes ;)

I was looking for that word and couldn't come up with it. That's a beautiful grill, you're a lucky man.

I've found snakes in a 26er run much cooler than in a 22, that same snake in a 22 would be running high 200's. We're any of the bottom daisies blocked? That would restrict airflow and drop your temps.

No blockage, I just needed a beefier snake. I think you're right about the difference between the 26 and the 22.

It's sitting right around 230-240 now. We're about 15 hours in and some parts are probing tender, but not in the middle. The first hour or two the temps weren't above 200 though, so I'm thinking around noon we'll be close to resting.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 10:04:29 AM »
About 17 hours later?! I can only image that pit temp was running below 200 most of the night. Note to self 26ers need a fatter snake.

But I think I'm really gonna like this one! You can see some of the crushed red pepper flakes that were in the mop! yeah, that's how we roll.

Going into the foil for a little rest. It was probing between 201-203, and just about fell apart as I took it off the grill.

Next up nachos!

Oh, and I couldn't be more happy with how the Chief performed his duties!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 11:00:24 AM »
Those are going to be some crazy good Nacho's, and what a badass kettle!

Awesome job all around Justin!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 11:50:55 AM »
Killer cook!
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 12:03:19 PM »
Doing a shoulder using a lump snake for the first time. Hope it comes out as good as yours!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 12:21:09 PM »
Doing a shoulder using a lump snake for the first time. Hope it comes out as good as yours!

Good luck! Where are the pics? Start a tread up!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 03:20:06 PM »
All pulled.

I gotta say I love the extra barkiness of the bark going non-wrapped. I might have been converted. My wife wasted no time letting me know which way she prefers; no wrapping. She said this was some of the best PP I've made.

I also think all that time, especially when it was sitting at around 200 all night, really rendered out a lot of the fat. I usually separate the larger pieces of fat as I separate the mussels, very little fat left inside this one.

Nachos!

A bite for you

Thanks for following along all day, The Chief and I had a great time!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Pork Butt on the Chief *All Finished*
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 05:09:35 PM »
Looks delicious!!!  Haven't decided what to do with my shoulder yet.  Was thinking tacos, but maybe nachos are in order. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: Pork Butt on the Chief *All Finished*
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 07:08:14 PM »
@WNC I think you done a great job cooking and adapting when you needed to.

If you made your fire ring taller so its just shy of the cooking grate you'll get the extra volume of charcoal your looking for. Also if you settle the charcoal a little by rotating the ring just enough for it to pack down a bit youll get a little more coal in there.

You could do it with strait lump charcoal and wood chunks if you wanted, thats how I'v always done it. Ive found it works best if the lump is about 2-2 1/2" and smaller chunks & small stuff and a small amount of the fines scattered around too. The wood chunks can be @2" or less.

You can put some exp. metal between the bowl and charcoal and it'll help get more air into the fire, which will give a more complete & efficient burn.

Heres how I do it in a 22, and get 12 hours steady burns-no problem.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need