Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: ABT Question  (Read 3908 times)

JDLones

• WKC Brave
ABT Question
« on: October 11, 2015, 12:06:19 PM »
I just have a quick question: about how long does it typically take to cook your turds? I'm going to cook some in a bit and thought I'd ask. I've only done them once before and I don't think they went long enough. Thanks!

Jonathan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love the smell of wood smoke and cooking meat...
Weber OTG 22.5 and Jumbo Joe
Char-Broil Commercial Gasser

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
ABT Question
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 12:11:48 PM »
What temp are you cooking at?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:13:50 PM by iCARRY »

JDLones

• WKC Brave
Re: ABT Question
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 12:44:29 PM »
Probably around 250 to 300.

Jonathan

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 01:09:53 PM »
The bacon will tell you when they are done. You want slightly crispy. I don't really enjoy biting into bacon that that's still chewy and you can't bite through. For this reason I prefer the thinnest, cheapest bacon I can buy.

But I would say 30-60 minutes depending on temps. But most of all watch the bacon :D

JDLones

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 01:34:15 PM »
Cool! That's about what I figured. I think the last time my bacon was too thick.

Jonathan

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 02:26:33 PM »
The bacon will tell you when they are done. You want slightly crispy. I don't really enjoy biting into bacon that that's still chewy and you can't bite through. For this reason I prefer the thinnest, cheapest bacon I can buy.

But I would say 30-60 minutes depending on temps. But most of all watch the bacon :D

Hormel black label is my go to for turds.
Still need a 22” yellow

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 05:14:08 PM »
I agree.  Longer is better.  I had them low and slow for over two hours once with thick cut bacon.  Also, I feel the longer they cook, the more mellow the jalapeno becomes.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 01:49:54 AM »
I totally agree with TheDude...Hormel Black label is my go to as well.
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 07:55:38 AM »
I usually do mine as snacks while smoking something else.  The first time I thought they looked done after about an hour, but they weren't.  Let them go another hour and they were awesome.  Second time I let them go 2 hours again and they were great.  Also, I've seen lots of recipes and versions of them....both times I mixed brown sugar in with the cream cheese.  The brown sugar gave it a little bit of sweetness that I thought was the key to them being so good.  Cream cheese, cheddar cheese lil smokies, brown sugar, and bacon.  225-250 smoking temp.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 10:10:10 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 12:27:02 PM »
I normally cook on my 22 kettle. I set the kettle up indirect. two full charcoal pans on each side of the kettle. I lay a sheet of foil down the middle where there are no coals and stick the peppers on there. It typically takes 15-25 minutes. I check at 15 and then every 5. I am waiting for bacon to crisp to my liking. I like to use foil so I can use oven mits and just pick up both sides of the foil to take them all off at once. I cut my peppers in half long ways and its difficult to move them by themselves on a hot grill without losing cheese. Its an art not a science!
Hotty Toddy!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 04:57:54 PM »
Corn King brand bacon is my Gold Standard for ABT production!

Cheap and fatty-it molds to the pod and when smoked that porky goodness turns into a procsiutto like texture!

I love Nueskes, but its too good for ABT's!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

JDLones

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 06:56:43 PM »
Thanks for the info and advice. These things are so versatile that there are probably a million different ways to do them, both with recipes and in methodology. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and try more, huh? It's a tough life... [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 01:01:02 PM »
I don't mind thick cut bacon with mine.... I cut bacon into two strips so you got a bit of bacon with both bites of the peppers. this was my home made hand sliced bacon too.... Good stuff.

Hotty Toddy!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 01:22:12 PM »
Questions about turds, eh … Seems to come up every once and awhile.

Here is one from almost exactly one year ago:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/turds/

I have tried many ways to wrap a turd, and I prefer to use buckie's turd wrapping technique.

I usually cook mine at (I'm guessing) 325° … After one hour I can start to smell them.
That usually means that they will be done in 20-30 minutes longer.  YMMV
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 04:50:22 PM »
Corn King brand bacon is my Gold Standard for ABT production!

I agree - works like a champ, has just the right amount of salt... nice& stretchy. I use it all the time on bacon wrapped onion rings.

I love Nueskes, but its too good for ABT's!

Oh man - my wife worked for them about 10 or 11 years ago - worked at a kiosk at the mall. We actually went to Wittenburg WI to the Christmas party. Got to meet Bob Nueske and everything! We took a tour of the plant to see how they made the product, and took advantage of her employee discount at the factory's retail store. Came home with a CARLOAD. Our favorite was the scrap ends & seconds they only sold at the factory store in 5# bags. Same applewood smoky goodness, but the cuts were all off a little, scrap ends, too thick slices, etc.