Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork Loin?  (Read 2368 times)

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Pork Loin?
« on: October 05, 2015, 04:23:41 AM »
Going to attempt a pork loin sometime this week in preparation for my Halloween party at my house. One of the cuts of meat that I haven't cooked yet.

Probably looking at a 7-10 lbs loin, was thinking of cutting it open and stuffing it with homemade apple pie filling, injecting it with Apple juice, and some apple wood for smoke.

Should I use a rub on it or just plain old salt pepper and oil?

Should I trim the fat or leave it on?

Roughly how long should it take at 225-250? Bringing it to 145 and letting rest a little while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pork Loin?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 04:51:25 AM »
I leave the fat on it , smoke fat side up. I prefer a rub, 3-3.5 hours on cook time. If it gets done early just wrap in foil and put in s cooler to keep it warm

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 10:29:12 AM »
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 09:05:13 PM »
I would do a brine. Use 40% of the meat's weight in water as the brine, then use 1.5-2.5% (depending on personal preference) of the meat weight plus the water weight in salt. For example, a 10lb loin weighs approximately 4500 grams

4500 x 40% = 1800 grams

4500 + 1800 = 6300 grams

6300 grams x .015 (1.5 x 100%) = 94.5 grams salt (sausages are 2-3% salt by weight for reference on salt preference)

I would also add 1-2% of the meat + water weight in sugar (white sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, etc.)

This is called an equilibrium brine. It takes longer than a regular brine, but your salt quantity will be exactly known and even throughout the meat. Plan for 1 week to 10 days brine time.

Then roll or stuff as you see fit. I did one with puréed mushrooms and apples, sautéed in butter, them added herbs (could be thyme, rosemary, bay leaves, onion, garlic, etc.,) and breadcrumbs until the right consistency (not quite as thick as peanut butter, and remember it will thicken as it cools).

You may also consider cutting a 7-10lb loin in half. Two 5lb pieces will cook at the same rate as one 10lb piece but might fit better on your grill (cooking time is based on thickness of meat, not weight).

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 12:16:12 AM by austin87 »

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 06:53:20 PM »
Thanks Austin.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 09:27:49 AM »
I like to inject mine with many different injections from Cajun Injection.  Made about 30 of these in the last couple of years and they all been very juicy.  I do trim some of the fat off but not all of it.  When I put my rub on I either use a little mustard or mainly run with some olive oil and then add my favorite rub.  Normally I also put 4 slits spaced evenly apart and put a garlic clove in as it adds some flavor and more moisture.  I grill mine kinda hot and fast.  300 to 325 degrees and normally take 1 1/2 hours depending on how big you go with and mine are  normally 5lbs or more.  After the first 30 minutes I normally spray my with some apple juice and apple cider vinegar every 15 to 20 minutes. til its done.  Take it off and wrap in foil for 30 minutes and its ready to go.  Love pork loins. 
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 02:30:18 PM »
Did it on the WSM the other day. Cut some of it up to make chops, was left with 5 lbs. just rubbed it with sweet rub o'mine. Apple wood for smoke. 2 hours at 235 to a temp of 145. It was excellent

Sliced up

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 08:32:08 AM »
Looks great.  I just do mine a little hotter on the grill temp but looks pretty much like yours.  They are excellent on the grill.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

huntergreen

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 10:13:22 PM »
they look very tasty.