Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Gonna try my hand at BACON  (Read 3688 times)

fedex

• WKC Ranger
Gonna try my hand at BACON
« on: August 24, 2015, 04:11:42 PM »
This has been on my To-Do list for a long time.  After watching last weeks Steve Raichlen's Project Smoke show titled "Bacon 24/7" I got very motivated.  Went to a local Korean market on Saturday and picked up a 12.5 # Slab of Pork Belly at $2.39/lb.  I did a ton research the last couple days and came up with a game plan.  Curing time will be 5 to 7 days so hopefully on Labor Day it will get a smoke.  Just haven't decided on what to use.  Ranch or UDS?  I'll post pics every couple days during the curing process.  One question though, Should I dump the liquid from the curing everyday or just let it be?  I look forward to any comments or recommendations.  Thanks for checking it out.

Simple Cure.  Morton's Tender Quick, Brown Sugar and Sea Salt.

1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
Gonna try my hand at BACON
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 04:41:53 PM »
Nice!  That's for sure in my list as well.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 04:54:13 PM by Lumpy Coal »

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Gonna try my hand at BACON
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 04:46:39 PM »
I don't think you would need to dump the liquid.  It should be fine.
I have cured pork loins to do Canadian Bacon, or Back Bacon, and I never dumped anything during the 7-8 day curing.  All I did was turn it everyday. 

Will you be soaking it in water after the curing process?  About an hour or two, or so?
I believe this helps reduce the "saltiness".  I never have done this, and I noticed the CB was quite salty.  I didn't really mind, as I love salt.

I look forward to your progress with this.  Please keep us posted.  :) :)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

warhog6g

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 04:54:13 PM »
I am interested in this. Keep us updated!

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 05:56:09 PM »
I didn't dump the liquid when I did it. Mine was too sweet because I did honey and brown sugar. Wont do one or the other next time. Everyone loves it but I think it isn't my best effort.

Danny C

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 08:50:21 PM »
I do bacon about two times a month, I just flip my bacon each day,Without draining the fluids, I use tender quick only while curing,but I have added brown sugar while I smoke the bacon. Also give this recipe a try after the smoke http://bacontoday.com/millionaires-bacon-million-dollar-bacon/
I prefer not to use that much cayenne pepper I use about a third
Everyone that try's the bacon, tells me it's the best they have ever had. I use Kingsford briquets with apple chunks or hickory at around 225' till bacon hits 140'
The best BLT's ever!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 10:12:41 PM »
I've done a ton of research as well, but I have curing salt (Prague Powder #1), not TenderQuick. You don't need to dump the liquid during curing. Use the TenderQuick as directed, and you might want to skip the additional salt as it could be too salty. Before you smoke your bacon, cut off a small piece and pan fry it to check for saltiness. If it is too salty, soak in a bowl of cold water for an hour, then let it rest in the fridge for an hour to redistribute the salt. Repeat the slice, fry, and taste procedure, then soak again if still too salty.

I'm doing some buckboard loin bacon soon. Good luck.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 04:18:11 AM »
I've done it a few times.  I never poured off any of the liquid.  I use the tender quick as well.  I have tried a few different recipes, and found that we really don't care for any of the maple based ones.  They always end up being too sweet or overpowering.  I have since leaned more towards a simple black pepper recipe and I think it turns out much tastier.......but everyone has different taste buds.

I REALLY need to get my ass in gear and make some more.  Even when we haven't cared for the recipe, its still SO much better than what we buy at the store.
-Keith

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 10:56:27 AM »
I used to make bacon about 1 a month (then I got insanely busy and its been months since I've gotten back into it)   I would have said to go with a smaller batch to start with, you're going to be doing refining to that recipe to get it to where you like, least I know I did.  I've done some where I cure it on a rack so the moisture can just drip away, and I've done it in bags and letting the moisture stay with it.  Honestly I think the ones I left in the bag cured better than the ones where I did them on a rack.  I'm not sure why but that was my personal experience. 

When it comes time to smoke them, for me its all about cold smoking them.  The pattern I've heard (and haven't had a chance to try yet) is to cold smoke them for like 6 - 8 hours 2 days in a row, then let it sit the 3rd day and then on the 4th day another 6 - 8 hour cold smoke.  That comes from a butcher who makes all his own bacon and other cured and smoked meats.  I just haven't had the chance to try it yet myself.

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 06:35:18 PM »
OK, after 6 days I took it out of the fridge and gave it a good rinse.  As advised I cut off a piece and cooked it in the frying pan to check for salt.  Well it's pretty damn salty.  It's taking a bath for a couple hours right now.

1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 07:23:43 PM »
Looking forward to seeing your results I've been thinking of cureing some bacon for sometime.

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 03:42:46 AM »
Nothing can come close to homemade bacon, when you nail it...even when you're off, it's better than most store bought. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk