Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A rookie's first stab at smoked balogna  (Read 2087 times)

kexodusc

• Smokey Joe
A rookie's first stab at smoked balogna
« on: August 09, 2015, 05:56:07 AM »

A friend and I knocked off a bucket list item yesterday.  Turned out better than I expected!

Placed on the grill after seasoning, about 30 minutes in:

Here's a close-up of this delicious hunk about halfway through.

And finished product

This isn't a bad thing to cook when you're testing a new accessory or practicing your vent/temperature management skills and only want to risk a couple of bucks.  Took about 4 hours at 225 F with hickory chunks for smoke.  Fun cook.  Good option for the in-laws, too.
Charcoal rookie, whisky hall-of-famer. Current rig: 3 OTS's acquired second-hand, a Smoke-EZ, Maverick ET-733 and not enough time

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: A rookie's first stab at smoked balogna
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 06:48:19 AM »
That looks good....tell me....Did you get a smoke ring? Second shot between the cut grooves makes it look like you did. If so that is so cool. I was surprised that I could put a smoke ring on big beef hot dogs from Costco as it is precooked meat.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 06:53:43 AM »
Very cool.  I have been wondering about doing one of these, too.  "Good option for the in-laws" <<< that right there is funny chit!

Did you cook it on the pan the whole time?  Wondering why?  Thanks.  :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

kexodusc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 07:21:02 AM »
Yeah it penetrated maybe 1/2 inch around where it was scored and maybe 1/4 or 1/8 inch elsewhere. The crusty bark was a nice complement.
Charcoal rookie, whisky hall-of-famer. Current rig: 3 OTS's acquired second-hand, a Smoke-EZ, Maverick ET-733 and not enough time

kexodusc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 07:30:40 AM »
Very cool.  I have been wondering about doing one of these, too.  "Good option for the in-laws" <<< that right there is funny chit!

Did you cook it on the pan the whole time?  Wondering why?  Thanks.  :D

I did. You can't see, but there's holes cut in the pan and foil big enough to let heat through and drippings to fall through.  Having never done one before, I looked up a few ideas online and everyone suggested cutting the round section into a flat edge so it doesn't roll.  I didn't want to waste perfectly good balogna so the idea behind the pan was to limit rolling, the foil was folded to sort of hold it in position.   I'd say this is totally unecessary now, and if I did again I wouldn't bother.  There's virtually no juices so it didn't ruin the bark.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 08:53:42 AM »
  Looks mighty tasty... I'd love to try this myself !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 02:01:55 PM »
Looks great, I don't care for bologna, but I'd try a piece of that fried up on a sandwich!

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 04:02:57 PM »
That looks great, I may have to add something like this to the to do list.  Did ya have to reload at any point during the 4 hours?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

kexodusc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 01:52:01 AM »

That looks great, I may have to add something like this to the to do list.  Did ya have to reload at any point during the 4 hours?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

No, I used a ring of fire, and had a nearly complete circle of briquettes, 2x2, exactly one chimney full.  I started with 12 lit briquettes, if you think of the kettle as a clock, I started at 12 and finished around 5. It started nice outside, but became quite windy about halfway through when some dark clouds rolled in outta nowhere, and I burned more fuel than normal. Had a spurt where it climbed above 250 and took awhile to come back down. I've done 3-4 chicken cooks in better weather that used less fuel. This was first time I've had to choke the top vent some as well, normally I leave it open.   

I could see fall and winter weather being a challenge. Gotta up my game.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 06:42:35 AM »
Beautiful!

We smoke bologna at work occasionally. We call it "****** Prime Rib".
 (****** = whatever city/state we are making fun of that day. [emoji48] )
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

baconeatingzombie

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 08:59:32 AM »
Would love to see some money shots!!!!