Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help with first RRR  (Read 1791 times)

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Help with first RRR
« on: July 25, 2015, 05:31:08 PM »
How do I get this, at least to the point of a new wood handle fitting?

Still need a 22” yellow

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Help with first RRR
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 05:46:58 PM »
I have had success with a rubber mallet and tapping gently to get my handle straight, just go slowly and be forewarned it may pop the weld on the one side.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 05:54:13 PM »
Yeah, that weld on the right doesn't look like it will take much. This is a 97'. Old enough to to restore. Young enough to hone my skills. The front leg also falls right out of socket when you lift on the bowl handle. I was given a tip to put a broom handle in the leg, but yet to figure it out. I plan to keep this thread going as I work on her. The vent handle is also bent a bit, but I may not mess with that. It's fully functional. Bottom vents just need some rust cleanup. I think som oil and #0000 will do the trick there.
Still need a 22” yellow

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 06:02:13 PM »
With the leg insert the broom handle into the leg and gently spread the opening a little, don't do to much as you want to have it fit still, some have used a strip of aluminum tape around the top of the leg to help provide friction to hold the leg in.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 06:16:29 PM »
That helps a lot.
Still need a 22” yellow

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 07:48:22 PM »
"I was given a tip to put a broom handle in the leg, but yet to figure it out."

I might not have explained that right.....Ron's got you covered....either a dowel / broom handle that's just the right size, or if smaller, rotate it around a bit to flare out the circumference of the top of leg to fit tight.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 07:51:50 PM »
These handles are often secured stronger than they appear. I have had luck with taking the head of the rubber mallet and tapping the underside of the lid at the weld points to get the "pushed inward" part of the handle un dented. Then some light taps or my bare hand getting the handle strap straightened. Of course not to aggressive in pounding, just a slight bit of firm force. That should straighten out nicely. As for the bottom, is this a daisy wheel kettle or a One Touch? I'll have to try the aluminum tape method next time I have one with loose leg/socket friction.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 06:38:46 AM »
These handles are often secured stronger than they appear. I have had luck with taking the head of the rubber mallet and tapping the underside of the lid at the weld points to get the "pushed inward" part of the handle un dented. Then some light taps or my bare hand getting the handle strap straightened. Of course not to aggressive in pounding, just a slight bit of firm force. That should straighten out nicely. As for the bottom, is this a daisy wheel kettle or a One Touch? I'll have to try the aluminum tape method next time I have one with loose leg/socket friction.

Daisy wheel.
Still need a 22” yellow

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 12:07:39 PM »
Project nixed for me. Gave it to a friend. I will try to get him to join here. I'm in the preformer club now.
Still need a 22” yellow