Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beer Can Chicken hot n fast in the WSM  (Read 1276 times)

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
Beer Can Chicken hot n fast in the WSM
« on: July 19, 2015, 03:48:26 PM »
First cook in the new to me 18.5 WSM. This was my first try at beer can chicken and through my research on the web I went the hot and fast method in order to get a crispy skin. So I cranked up the WSM to 350-375, this is pretty much as hot as I could get it, threw in a couple chunks of apple wood and had at it.

Cooked it at high heat for about 1.75 hrs. Meat probe hit 170 in the thigh so I pulled it off.

All cut up ready to serve.

Quick spinach and tomato salad and a side of mac n cheese

The chicken was good but next time I will try to cook it low and slow and then crank it up to crisp the skin.
Redhead SS Performer w/cajun bandit stacker
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Beer Can Chicken hot n fast in the WSM
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 04:26:50 PM »
Looks great!
Another way to go with the low and slow is after it's cooked take the middle section off and put the grate on top of the charcoal ring. Then put the chicken on, skin side down, over the coals to crisp it up. Stay close because it happens fast.

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
Re: Beer Can Chicken hot n fast in the WSM
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 04:46:51 PM »
Looks great!
Another way to go with the low and slow is after it's cooked take the middle section off and put the grate on top of the charcoal ring. Then put the chicken on, skin side down, over the coals to crisp it up. Stay close because it happens fast.

Thats exactly what I was going to do on the next one.
Redhead SS Performer w/cajun bandit stacker
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5