Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: No KettlePizza, No Problem!  (Read 3100 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
No KettlePizza, No Problem!
« on: July 01, 2015, 08:41:06 AM »
I don't have a kettle pizza, so I had to improvise. From Nate I've learned that elevating the pie in the dome lid is important to cook the top and melt the cheese before the bottom gets cooked (my first attempt was a disaster). I think I've got it down pretty good now.

I put a full chimney around 2/3-3/4 of the bowl of the kettle with one of the flip up sides of the cooking grate at the back and use the charcoal baskets as my lifters to hold the pizza stone (my pizza stone is 12"x15") away from the screaming coals

Put the stone on the charcoal baskets, close the lid, and let it preheat for about 15 minutes. My dome therm says 500 degrees.

Right before I slide on the pizza I throw in a baseball sized chunk of hickory and let it just start to burn/smoke. About 15 minutes later, rotating the stone/pie halfway through, this came out:

It had red and white sauce, sliced mozzarella, shaved asparagus, red onions, sliced jalepeņos, cherry tomatoes, and hot Italian sausage crumbles. After it cooled a bit we added some roughly chopped arugula and a drizzle of olive oil but pieces got snatched before I could get pics. The crust had good crunch.

This set up isn't ideal - you have to lift the lid a decent amount, but it works pretty well until I further accessorize my kettle  8)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:11:04 AM by austin87 »

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
Re: No KettlePizza, No Problem!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 11:13:57 AM »
Looks good - I will have to try out the raised stone technique.

I typically flash bake the pizza dough/crust directly on the grate over low/medium heat with the lid open keeping a close eye on it so I don't burn it - I like some char but too much makes for a bad pizza. Then I pull off the baked dough and out on my stone to preheat - then I throw on my sauce and toppings, brush the edges of the crust with EVOO and on the stone it goes. The goal after it goes back on the stone is just to melt the cheese and get things hot not to cook the dough. It usually turns out perfect with very little effort but I like the idea of doing it all on the stone - I've just never tried it.

What kind of stone do you use? Brand not size
Keep it simple stupid

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 01:25:03 PM »
@Matt_T I'm not sure about the brand. I think my girlfriend got it as a gift from her mom, in which case it probably came from Cost Plus/World Market.

So far it's been durable and hasn't broken but if it does I've got my eye on a baking steel - http://www.bakingsteel.com/shop/baking-steel

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 03:13:29 PM »
Nice pie @austin87 .

With the temps you were running the pie should have been done in about 12 min. This, of course, is based on my experience. Since you only had the stone preheat for 15 min, did you check the stone temp? When I used this setup, I preheated the stone for 30-45 min. I also didn't lift the lid for the first 6 or so minutes when the pie was cooking. This is when I'd rotate the pie 180 and to check how the bottom of the crust was cooking. This gave me an idea of how much longer the pizza could cook without burning the crust.  I just looked in the lid vent to see how the top was cooking.

Just thought I'd give you some of my techniques to try out on your next one. 8)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 03:33:27 PM »
@Nate funny you mentioned the timing. I thought that 12 minutes would do it. I didn't lift the lid for the first 6 minutes, then rotated it. After another 6 minutes it wasn't quite there yet so I let it ride for another 3 minutes.

I don't have a laser IR thermometer but I would like to get one eventually. I would say that the top looked done after 12 minutes but I was waiting on the crust, so next time I'll definitely exercise patience and wait 30-45 to get the stone really hot. Thanks!

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 04:46:28 PM »
that looks excellent. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 09:10:49 PM »
Great looking pie! Do you deliver?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 08:42:14 AM »
@austin87, i just grabbed a CL 22" inch kettle to use a dedicated pizza cooker and i plan on doing the same set up using ring of coals and charcoal baskets to lift the stone. Glad to see it gets good results.

One other side note on pizza stone vs baking steel. The steel obviously conducts heat well, but the stone also absorbs moisture from the dough allowing to bake. Haven't tested this theory but its an observation made by a relative who does a ton of homemade pizza (in a oven).
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 08:46:35 AM »
Ooh @CharliefromLI the moisture absorbing properties of the stone were something I never thought of. I liked the idea of the steel because it can also be used as a griddle.

I've also heard that kiln shelves make great pizza stones and are generally more sturdy and cheaper than something labeled as a "pizza stone." Thanks for pointing that out!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 05:01:15 AM »
That looks amazing!

But, I ain't getting rid of my KP anytime soon.  Love it!

Kiln shelf - Yes, for sure!  That's what I use in the KP and performs excellent.  I picked it up at a pottery supply store.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 04:16:28 PM »
Great looking pie, might just have to try this technique!

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 06:08:43 PM »
@Matt_T I'm not sure about the brand. I think my girlfriend got it as a gift from her mom, in which case it probably came from Cost Plus/World Market.

So far it's been durable and hasn't broken but if it does I've got my eye on a baking steel - http://www.bakingsteel.com/shop/baking-steel
@austin87 Now I want what you want - I have bookmarked baking steel and I'll be drooling over it until I get one. If you end up getting one make sure you report back. 

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Keep it simple stupid