Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WKC NorCal Spring Meet Meatloaf - finally!  (Read 1377 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
WKC NorCal Spring Meet Meatloaf - finally!
« on: June 17, 2015, 08:50:44 PM »
I started a new job that I really enjoy, but it's cut a little into my cooking time and a lot into my WKC time. It's a new gig so it's intense, but after I get settled in I should be back with a more regular presence.

@brettbrown @Nate - you asked specifically. @pbe gummi bear I forgot to take pics of the finished product so I stole a couple of yours.

The meatloaf at the NorCal Spring Meet (http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/meetups-events/spring-2015-west-coast-wkc-meet-master-thread/) was a big hit.

Here's how it went down:

3/4 pound each of ground beef (80/20 or 85/15, pork (not lean), and lamb
Saute 1 white onion + 1-2 carrots + 1-2 stalks celery in bacon grease, add 5 cloves minced garlic once veggies start to sweat (there will be extra - use 3/4 cup)
Saute 8oz mushrooms finely chopped (I used brown/crimini) in bacon grease
1 egg beaten in a measuring cup, milk added until total volume is 3/4 cup
approx 2/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
5-6 good shakes from the Worcestershire bottle
couple dashes of soy sauce
Habanero flakes and cayenne pepper to taste (I used about 1 tablespoon of each - they add heat at different places in the taste buds)
salt and pepper to taste (bacon grease, Worcestershire, and soy sauce are all salty - be cautious but approx 2 tsp per pound of meat)
Approx 1 Tbsp each paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chile powder, and cumin (adjusted to your taste preferences)
1-2 Tbsp brown sugar
breadcrumbs to hold together - I needed a little over 1 cup, will depend on how juicy the meatloaf is

Mix thoroughly with hands to combine but do not overmix. Place into greased loaf pan (pack it in pretty firmly), cover with plastic wrap, and allow to rest in fridge for at least 1 hour (can be overnight). After resting, use a plastic spatula to loosen all the sides, and dump upside down directly onto the cooking grate (the resting will allow everything to stick together and not fall apart, plus allow smoke to hit every side of the loaf).

I cook mine at 325-350 with lots of smoke. Lately I have liked pecan and cherry, it takes about 75 minutes depending on temp. This can also be smoked low and slow at 225-250, it will just take longer. At 325-350 I let the loaf get smoke for about 30 minutes before painting with plain ketchup (top and sides, I don't flip the loaf) to let it form a nice crust. I cooked the loaf on the 18" OTG using the classic Weber indirect cook - charcoal rails on each side and a drip pan in the middle - I think that the charcoal rails, while simple, are one of the most overlooked accessories, especially in an 18".

And here are the pics {I made a meatloaf for the Warriors game a few night before, it wasn't as good as the WKC meetloaf (see what I did there?!?!) but the pictures are a mix of both of cooks}

Onions, carrots, celery

Adding garlic

Mushrooms

In the pan

Finished shot, courtesy of pbe gummi bear

Thanks for taking a look!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: WKC NorCal Spring Meet Meatloaf - finally!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 09:42:28 PM »
Sounds yummy!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 05:55:03 AM »
It was tasty.

Nice bite to it.

Thanks austin!
Dude, relax your chicken.

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 03:06:13 PM »
Thanks Austin. I'll be giving it a go this weekend