Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Aaron Franklin - anti-Webber?  (Read 10719 times)

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
Aaron Franklin - anti-Webber?
« on: June 15, 2015, 09:29:34 AM »
I was reading AF's Meat Smoking Manifesto this weekend.  In one part of the "Smoker" section, he referred to Webers as "flimsy," and recommended the Big Green Egg instead.

Blashphemer!

terrymo

• WKC Brave
Re: Aaron Franklin - anti-Webber?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 10:01:09 AM »
Agreed, but just to play devils advocate, if I was used to cooking on several 1000 gallon propane tank based stick burners all day every day, I might have a different view of cooking on anything less substantial.  For my needs though, nothing beats a Weber. Maybe he just needs to be educated  8)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 10:11:59 AM »
Is he talking about the WSM ?  Because I see nothing flimsy about those .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 01:10:29 PM »
AF is from TX where steel tanks, drums, and big diameter pipes can be had for cheap/free so I understand where he is coming from. A BGE seals well and is even more foolproof than a Weber for smoking.  Even though the Weber is a "flimsy" thin metal walled cooker it's a high quality product that comes at an amazing price point. The construction, design, and customer service more than make up for the thin walls. Weber fits my needs well as Terry said.

One of my dreams is to make a large vertical or offset smoker. Weight and $$$ be damned. :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 01:14:16 PM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 01:13:17 PM »
I have a kamado and prefer my Kettles for low and slow....I get better product and find it easier to get clean smoke.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 04:45:06 PM »
I was reading AF's Meat Smoking Manifesto this weekend.  In one part of the "Smoker" section, he referred to Webers as "flimsy," and recommended the Big Green Egg instead.

Blashphemer!

Lol. Thought the same thing when I read it.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 07:14:41 PM »
The amount of wood you go through with a stock burner alone make you think twice about using one. The weber does the job cheaper and more efficiently.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 07:29:14 PM »
The amount of wood you go through with a stock burner alone make you think twice about using one. The weber does the job cheaper and more efficiently.

It may use more wood than a kettle, but you're not cooking near the same quantity of meat on a kettle as you are on an offset unless you're talking a cheapy Chargriller. Different tools for different tasks. Besides, variety is the spice of life.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 07:47:50 PM »
Not worried about who likes thenthe kettle or not.  It has been nothing but awesome for me and bang for the dollar and over quality along with longevity are pretty much unmatched.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:11:17 PM by wyd »
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 08:09:18 PM »
I wonder if he's ever actually used one. ..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 08:16:23 PM »
I am currently using my Weber Performer and some hot lump to burn my Aaron Franklin book.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 08:19:59 PM »
I am currently using my Weber Performer and some hot lump to burn my Aaron Franklin book.

Winz

lol
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 05:00:48 AM »
I have a big offset, and I love it.  Cooking with wood-only is fun, and it makes superior bbq.  But to call Webers flimsy is just wrong - we've got guys here cooking on Webers made 40+ years ago!!

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 01:57:59 PM »
Now don't shoot the messenger, but I can see what he's saying in context.

How often do you hear about a kettle or WSM that's "out of round"? The metal on a kettle is noticibly thinner than your typical decent offset smoker. It is also has much thinner walls than the kamado smokers. I don't knock him for that observation, but what he should have mentioned was that the Weber is also porcelain enameled which allows it to retail heat far better than your standard flimsy metal Big Box retail store grill which isn't coated in any way.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 05:05:23 PM »
I have seen some trailer mounted stick burner offsets that I would love to have, but alas it is not to be.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......