Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: converting from 5lb tanks to 1lb disposable tanks  (Read 11531 times)

Rjames

• Smokey Joe
Re: converting from 5lb tanks to 1lb disposable tanks
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 02:05:51 PM »
Thank you to everyone for your help on this. I very much appreciate it.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 02:25:45 PM »
Rjames I don't know if anyone on this forum has converted to 1lb tanks on the SS Performer. As to your problem, it could be that the pressures are indeed different and that a different regulator is needed.

I don't know your location, you haven't added it to your avatar profile, but a $65 Manchester tank (they have the proper size/shape/mount design) from Amazon or ACE hardware delivered to your door might just be the best long term solution, especially if you use the grill often.

People have put the new style regulator and hose for the 1lb tanks on performers in the past. Check this thread: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/gas-assist-added-to-mesa-azul/

Conceptually, this is very easy. Both Gas assists use the same burner tube. You would just need to purchase this burner assembly for $32: http://www.ereplacementparts.com/regulator-assembly-p-1477523.html

then figure out how to mount it and access the knob. The 2 bolts mount are bottom mounted to the regulator so you will likely need some king of L-Bracket or secure the bottle itself. 

Its up to you if you want to pursue this route. I personally converted my SS to an 11lb tank with the latest gen SS regulator. It's about the same price as a 5lb tank and lasts a longggg time for gas assist use.

I realized I should probably share my rationale why I went this route with the regulator.

I basically had 4 options

1. Get the old 5# tank recertified
2. Buy the new style performer regulator assembly
3. Buy the old style assembly with the OPD/QCC1 adapter.
4. The Gummi Bear option- new tank with normal modern valve, but adapt the existing regulator.

Option 2:

available here: http://www.ereplacementparts.com/regulator-assembly-p-1477523.html

Option 3:

available here: http://www.ereplacementparts.com/hose-and-regulator-assembly-p-1477479.html

I decided against 1 because at the end of the day I would still have an old tank that is difficult to fill and would be specific to my performer. I called around a few places to see if they would fill an RV quick connect but I soon realized I didn't want to go through the hassle. I decided against #2 because it would cost me about 40 dollars in parts and I don't like discarding parts that still work- ie. my existing line and regulator. I would have also had to make a custom bracket for the valve that is oriented 90deg from the tank, and disposable tanks aren't economic and environmentally friendly. #3 is an attractive option but I didn't realize until very recently that they introduced this at the end of the ss life cycle. Even if I went this route, I would need a new valve on my tank.

I like the 11# tank because it can be filled at any station, portable enough to take on trips, and fit underneath the table cleanly. Aesthetics were very important to me and a 20# tank would have stuck way too much.

Gas regulator update

I've decided that I was going to give up the Gummi Bear option #4 and try to adapt this regulator to the new tank. Thanks, HeyJude and 1Buckie for looking out for me. I've seen some ghetto rigged propane setups from asian food carts but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I am going to order the complete regulator setup with the QCC1 connector Option #3 above for the following reasons:

-Current QCC1 connections are 1/4" NPT standard, not 5/16" like the input end of the regulator. There is barely any support for this size anymore, and I have been searching. EDIT: people have been able to pull the QCC1 connections from gassers and use them with no problem. YMMV.

-Barb fittings are not reccomended for propane (Thanks, AJ!).  After doing so research the propane pressure is pretty high: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/propane-vapor-pressure-d_1020.html Note the Logarithmic scale on the y-axis pressure . Propane fittings and hoses are treated as high pressure fittings that should be threaded and sealed, or machine crimped. They are similar to hydraulic lines.
-Option 3 is plug and play and easy. It will also replace the 15 year old hose and regulator which is probably a good thing!

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 02:33:32 PM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 06:18:40 PM »
I just thought of somthing that may be causing the gas to not flow with your set up gas regulators usually have a safety lock out in built into them. if the lever to let gas flow is open when you screw the bottle onto the regulator the rush of gas coming in closes it down. what you might try is unscrew the bottle to relive the pressure then close the small gas lever then screw  the bottle back on and try slowly opening the small lever and see if you get gas flowing it resets the regulator. It's a safety thing to keep someone from hooking up a bottle with a gas valve already open on an appliance and a bunch of gas coming out and blowing up
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:22:55 PM by northwestkettle »
BBQ to live live to BBQ

Rjames

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 05:22:50 AM »
tremendously helpful everyone - thanks.

I've put these two adapters together:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41c5EBioqPL._SY355_.jpg

http://cdn3.volusion.com/dxylq.nruds/v/vspfiles/photos/14-9715-2T.jpg?1368516713

I did some fiddling, and can't get anything to come out of the propane tank with these - even when they're not connected to the BBQ.  Perhaps these adapters don't work with one another. 

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 01:32:51 PM »
If you swap the connector back does your old tank work?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

terrymo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2015, 04:12:49 PM »
I'm sure there's folks here that paid more attention in physics and chemistry class than me but here's my understanding.

The pressure inside a 1lb and a 20 pound propane tank will be the same regardless of tank size. The pressure of the vaporized propane gas inside the tank can only fluctuate (from 10 pounds per square inch to over 250 pounds per square inch) depending on the air temperature the tank is sitting in. A BBQ typically only needs about 6 OUNCES per square inch of pressure. The low pressure regulators job is to adjust the tank pressure down to the level needed by the BBQ and account for any fluctuations in tank pressure and lp needed by the BBQ

Blah, blah blah...still awake?

Ok so assuming the pressure regulator, hose, and hole in the brass orifice that goes into the burner tube are functioning correctly, and the 1 lb tank is upright when you are using it, and you didn't turn the tank on full with the valve open causing the regulator to shut down the flow completely, I think you're on the right track thinking it's the new fittings.

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
converting from 5lb tanks to 1lb disposable tanks
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2015, 04:41:59 PM »
Just to complicate matters my daughter hooked up a 20 to her performer with a conn for a Q tank conversion no problems
  do you have a 20# tank to try ? Just wondering
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:30:40 AM by Jack Fate »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 03:53:11 AM »
Thank you to everyone for your help on this. I very much appreciate it.

These kinds of threads are very helpful in troubleshooting .....not only here, but also in the future.....you're already paying it forward !!!!

Thank You !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Rjames

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 03:11:39 AM »
In response to a question, I only have an old, quick-release 5lb tank that ran out of gas a couple of weeks ago. That's what kicked this whole quest off. But it had been working fine.

Contrary to my initially thinking, I don't think the issue is the regulator. These adapters are supposed to allow folks to swap out their 20 lb tanks for a 1lb if the need arises - without having to change or adjust the regulator.  I think the problem has to do with these two adapters.

With those two adapters connected to the 1lb propane canister, shouldn't gas start flowing out?  Shouldn't I at least hear or smell something?  The screw-on "steak saver" adapter, by itself, doesn't cause the gas to flow. I think this is ok.  Indeed, some folks seem to store the canisters with these adapters on them (not recommended by the way).  My understanding is that when, with this adapter in place, the canister is connected to the next piece of hardware - the adapter that connects to the regulator - then the gas should start flowing. But this isn't happening. Keeping the regulator out of the picture, I simply can't get gas out of the canister with these two adapters. 

I'm going to take the two adapters and the canister to my local hardware store and ask them to take a look at things. Maybe I'm connecting them wrong somehow. Or maybe the canister is defective or something. I'll let everyone know what I find out.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 05:16:58 AM by Rjames »

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2015, 12:46:27 PM »
The adapters for the 1#er have a bypass valve in them, similar to the ones 5+# cylinder OPD valves have in them, since the OPD was mandated. It slows and /or stops the flow in the event of an excessive or sudden flow and also acts as a check valve or back-flow eliminator if it needs to. Connecting it to an appliance and turning it on slowly should allow the pressure to equalize after a minute, then it should work correctly.

Your 5# cylinder can be easily refilled despite the test date. Nobody ever checks it before they fill'em up. If you want to check your 5#er to see if theres gas in it you can either slosh it around to feel the liquid moving, weigh it, using the tare weight of the cylinder located on the valve guard/neck ring (should be stamped T.W.9.8#    W.C.13#, T.W.= tare weight & W.C.= water capacity (lbs)) OR you COULD use a screw driver to open the OPD to see if any pressure escapes(it only takes about 6oz pressure to make a low pressure regulator regulate, any less is non-regulated). If the tank is empty it wont hiss if it does it wont be much or for long.

My recommendation is to reuse the cylinder the grill came with, especially if it lasts for two years between fill-ups. The amount of monkey motion wasted on the 1#er has already exceeded the effort and cost it would have taken to refill the 5#er.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Rjames

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 02:14:25 AM »
Thank you

jmbaute

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 11:22:31 AM »
I've done this- used a stock adapter that screwed right into the regulator. Won't work with the original mount, obviously. Couldn't find it in my amazon history...search over on the virtual weber bullet forums and you'll find the part number. Only been using it a few months, though and it seemed like I should have gotten more out of a canister than I did. Wish I had more capacity but it works for now.

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
Redhead SS Performer w/cajun bandit stacker
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2015, 11:03:28 AM »
Forget the 5lb and the 1lb its more costly and a hassle. Just switch to the 20lb and you life will be a lot easier. The 20# tank fits perfect without any modifications.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/cheapest-and-easiest-ss-performer-20-lp-conversion-only-$8-99/
Redhead SS Performer w/cajun bandit stacker
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

Rjames

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2015, 06:59:48 PM »
For the sake of posterity - I finally got this to work, with the exact two adaptors I mentioned previously. It appears as though I simply wasn't attaching the adaptors tight enough - if they're not tight enough the gas won't flow. A tad embarrassed but very happy to have this working now!