Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork loin, onions, cauliflower, corn  (Read 1383 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Pork loin, onions, cauliflower, corn
« on: June 03, 2015, 05:53:53 PM »
Brother in law's turn to cook tonight. He picked up a seasoned pork loin and setup his gasser to get it done after leaving early from work.

I helped with sides .... corn for my kids, cauliflower and onions for everyone else. (Yes of course my kids tried everything.) I was itching to crank up his unused OTS of course.

I wasn't quite checked out on the shaker basket, neglected to verify the lid was closed, "tossed" veggies and dumped them onto the grill. DOH!

That was also right when the lid fell off the kettle onto the driveway. Now I know how they get dinged. I whined that the lid hook was all jacked up, somehow flatted to the extent it barely contacted the rim of the kettle. Pliers were employed to get the lid's hook back to where it should be.

pork loin, very good ... my dad still raves however about one my brother in law did some years ago that was marinaded? Today's was a standard rub however.

corn, eaten (didn't try it, wasn't for me, I'm sure it was fine)

cauliflower ... my sister's idea ... apparently they do that "all the time" ... I've never cooked it but put it on as soon as they gave it to me. After it had turned color and been on for a good while it was pulled. Nevertheless it wasn't on long enough and somebody microwaved it. Not my problem. Sorry for the copout but I had onions and corn to worry about. Bottom line: it got good flavor from the kettle and my sister said it was great flavor, so all good. I liked it.

onions, very successful! Thanks again @SixZeroFour for the nudge to just let 'em ride. (Well, I did actually pull the grate about 3 times and turn/rotate/move the onions around.)

They were yellow onions, Vidalia might have been too sweet here. All bitterness gone yada yada. I'm a fan. That's all I got, thanks for looking.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

chuck s

• WKC Brave
Re: Pork loin, onions, cauliflower, corn
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 03:26:09 AM »
sounds like it was exciting...Looks good to me .....

Grill_Jitsu

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 04:18:44 AM »
The cauliflower looks awesome! I like mine a little crunchy, they'd probably be perfect to me. Need to try that onion trick too. Of course I'd have to stick with sweet vidalias! Great cook overall!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 06:53:47 AM »
Nice cook up and glad to see they turned out for ya. Cooked onions have such a nice flavour to them - seems to compliment almost anything on the grill.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 07:42:15 AM »
Grill_Jitsu try the Vidalia but do mix in a couple yellow however. SixZeroFour knows ... they will still be plenty sweet; cooking them all through like this sweetens them up nicely, they do NOT taste "bitter oniony" and of course there wasn't/couldn't be any seasoning added to them. So there's really no "trick" about achieving the taste, and it's not like any sauté for example.

The cauliflower did have a nice little crunch I thought. I come from a family who only grilled burgers and such and they got used to boiling veggies. Soft, tender, texture and flavor gone. I'd like to change that expectation. Hey, it got me to like cauliflower for the first time; I always thought they were a little too bitter/weird without a melted cheese slather.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 11:22:58 AM »
Thanks, Now I'm trying the cauliflower & onion trick when I do some twice 'grilled' potatoes this wknd..
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 12:00:52 AM »
Looking good!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 03:25:49 PM »
Looks great, nice color on that loin!