Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lobster Tails - Melted Onions - WKC Gus' and Roasties  (Read 2984 times)

SixZeroFour

Lobster Tails - Melted Onions - WKC Gus' and Roasties
« on: June 02, 2015, 09:14:01 AM »
I love lobster but it's something I hardly ever make at home. Why? I really have no idea but that's about to change!

This fun to grill feast was super easy and beyond delicious. Let's get cookin'

A couple small tails, one for myself and one for my wife

Little roastie potatoes covered in EVOO and then given a health dose of Webers Garlic and Herb Seasoning

These have also become a household favorite! Thank you Mr Troy.

Melted Onions are about as easy as it gets... place directly on the coals for about 1.25 hours turning once

Tails were split down the soft side then brushed with EVOO and lightly salted

I was looking for metal skewers when it occurred to me I could use this lovely old gadget 8) Clips right onto the cooking grate and works like a charm!

Veggies on for a head start

Garlic Butter/Butter added along with fresh chunked garlic.

You could dip cardboard in this and it would still taste great... 8)

And finally the main attraction!

The tails were cooked for 5 min split side down and then flipped over. At the flip add two big slab of garlic butter to the top of each so it melts down into the shell.

You can also see the onions cooking down in the basement.

I'm still licking my chops this morning it was so good! and the melted onions come out so sweet its like candy - give it a shot!

Thanks for looking everybody!

Six
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Lobster Tails - Melted Onions - WKC Gus' and Roasties
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 09:29:22 AM »
Holy crap …. I have never tried cooking lobster, either.  After seeing this, I just might give it a go.  Thanks for posting!
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 09:35:46 AM »
Wow what a nice meal!!!!
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 05:14:01 PM »
That all looks great, but I'm really interested in trying those melted onions!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 06:37:56 PM »
604 this is all incredible. I especially like the use of the skewers for this, very interesting.

Hey @Troy I think you now have the front page lobster write-up you were wanting 5 weeks ago ...

Holy crap …. I have never tried cooking lobster, either.  After seeing this, I just might give it a go.  Thanks for posting!

Conceptually very similar, here's what @chuck s did for those. http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/lobster-tails-twice-cooked-potatoes-asparagus-naan/

Between that and this one I'd say you're all set. This is a fairly easy cookup.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 11:21:04 PM »
That looks delicious! For the onions you just put them down in the basement and let em go?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 01:37:45 AM »
You need to come to the Chicago meet and do some cooking!! That all looks awesome!!!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 05:15:16 AM »
Fantastic!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 05:23:13 AM »
That looks delicious! For the onions you just put them down in the basement and let em go?

You turn them a few times. I've made melted onions, which begins the same way. Easy but not hands-off. Very worthwhile to do. Use a separate cooker unless you have a way to get at 'em.

Check these out for more on that:

Text: http://www.weber.com/recipes/veggies/melted-onions

Video: http://www.weber.com/weber-nation/video-library/recipe-of-the-week/vegetables-and-sides/webers-recipe-of-the-weekmelted-onions
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SixZeroFour

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 07:36:40 AM »
You turn them a few times. I've made melted onions, which begins the same way. Easy but not hands-off. Very worthwhile to do. Use a separate cooker unless you have a way to get at 'em.

Mine must be the econo-version of the melted onions 8) because I just drop them into the coals and more or less forget them. Turning once is a good idea but I've forgotten them completely a few times and they still came out really good. If you situate the Onions under the two hinged sections of the grate it's easy to pop open and give them a twist with tongs as well. They will be a bit soft when you go to pull them off the heat so be careful that you don't just grab the outer layer of the onion with your tongs and then loose the middle (best!) part to the charcoal gods.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 08:47:02 AM »
^^ And Six, I may just do it that way next time and forget all the butter bath as the Weber recipe shows.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 09:35:58 AM »
Definitely going to try those onions. Great Post. Thanks

IQ2

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 05:19:46 PM »
This is an excellent post!! Superb!!!

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 09:52:28 AM »
Those are beautiful pics!  Looks like a ad for a restaurant.  Excellent cook!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!