Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cast iron BBQ  (Read 1748 times)

Texmech

• Smokey Joe
Cast iron BBQ
« on: May 13, 2015, 04:36:09 AM »
I was thinking about putting one of these in my backyard for BBQ's and also as a storm shelter...when it cools down. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RriSX5y8af0
Tex

JDD

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cast iron BBQ
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 11:47:07 AM »
Seems like a lot of work for a few slabs of meat. You may just want to get a few extra kettles and save some money.
May The Smoke Be With You!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 07:21:36 PM »
I've never used an underground pit and only have a few experiences eating food cooked in one, but I have found the cook to be more of a novelty/cool factor than turning out great meat.

I feel the same way about a China/caja box pig - some people swear by it. Again, I've only had a few pigs cooked like that - the presentation is awesome and it's neat, but I didn't think the finished product was as good compared to other preparations.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 03:13:34 AM »
Austin
guess I look at it different, having been raised by a man who used to do the pit BBQ thing for whole hogs, we would cook up coals all night, wrap a pig and put it on the coals and cover it up for 8 hours
yummy good and always a big hit.
I did my own first time at about 19 and have refined a technique for smaller loads of meat. we had a pit we usually used for about 40 to 60 pounds of meat and it turned out great meat all the time. Have not dug one here, I get into the ways to cook I have just fine.

I do not think it is a novelty/cool thing at all, just another way that was developed to do BBQ, after all, I get teased all the time about being a kettle head, but they never tease me about the results. I give the covered pit guys all the respect they can get. Like being a dutch oven guy, lots of teasing goes on there too.
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 03:29:36 PM »
@Jammato not trying to knock the style of pit BBQ, just commenting on my experience. The meat I've had cooked in a pit was just ok. I've also had just ok meat out of a Weber, pellet smoker, a BGE, and stick burner.

I would love to try whole hog cooked in a pit by someone who knows exactly what they are doing. There are a ton of ways to turn out edible meat with low and slow smoke. I think there are as many ways to turn out unbelievable meat with low and slow smoke.