Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Boneless Beef short ribs - low & slow  (Read 2901 times)

chuck s

• WKC Brave
Boneless Beef short ribs - low & slow
« on: April 30, 2015, 10:51:47 AM »
So my wife comes home with 1.5 lbs of bonless bee ribs and says - you can do these right .... to which I say - of course!!  Then the first thing I do is get on this forum and find austin87 post on "Boneless beef short ribs - what to do".  All you guys came through.  I also found a good layout on the domestic man site.  Any way here it goes

Dry rub of kosher salt, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, celery salt, and chipotie powder.

Got them on the grill and spent too much time trying to keep temp down.  I had two baskets with lump and it was too hot.  went thru the routine of closing vents and pulling lid off to cool it down and cover it again - regular sine wave of temps.  Unfortunately I was on my own so I could not get really stellar ideas from addicted-to-smoke.  Finally figured out that maybe I should just remove one of the baskets!!   :-[ Worked perfect!!

after about an hour we add some sweet potatoes. 

It's been on for almost 3 hours now and I had to add more lump cause I was loosing temp.  Also started to prepare the corn.  I usually grill them right on the grate but wanted to try these Terracotta corn cookers we have - they came with a base and lid but couldn't find the lid.

prepared the corn as usual with garlic butter - we had consumed too much beer by now so we switched to wine and whiskey  :o

Full load and almost 4 hours in...... ready to come off

Beef at various temps with min of 180.  I had thought of taking the thinner ones off earlier and wrapping them in foil - but I didn't.  I should have because while they were still very tasty - they were a little too dry. 

Well guess who now shows up.... Mr. Addicted-to-smoke .... so we shared!!   ;)

BTW - while the corn was still very good, in my honest but humble opinion, it is better directly on the grill........

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Boneless Beef short ribs - low & slow
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:59:30 AM »
Man those look awesome. I do agree that slightly charred summer sweet corn is one of the best things around!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 11:08:26 AM »
Looks good!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 11:10:09 AM »
Did I misread, was there any wood/smoke involved?
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 11:13:07 AM »
++I Love grilled sweet potato mine are naked on the grate & rubbed w/ some reserved beef tallow
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 11:15:04 AM »
Did I misread, was there any wood/smoke involved?
Well there was gonna be - but I lost that whole issue when I kept taking the lid off to cool things down - darn wood started to catch fire so I took it off - with that in mind - I was just reading some posts on the snake method and some excellent insight by @1buckie .... thanks for the great inputs BTW..... and I must get the snake method down - @addicted-to-smoke uses it and likes it.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 12:25:24 PM »
when you take the lid off, it actually allows a ton of oxygen in - which results in much hotter coals.
same reason why your wood caught on fire with the lid off. There was finally enough oxygen to allow the wood to burn with an open flame

removing fuel was probably the right thing to do (although its a pain)

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 12:29:27 PM »
Thanks @Troy - Like my Dad always said - "If that's the last mistake I make today ...I'll be lucky!!"  I love this forum - grate way to learn.  I'm trying St Louis Pork Steaks tonight!!  Just started the chimney   :D

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 01:21:55 PM »
'Twas excellently tasty. I'd just eaten before I showed up but ... I could't resist an after dinner snack.

When I put smoke wood on, I close the lid to prevent or stop flareups, then wait for white smoke to blue smoke, then put meat on.

Tonight I actually made apple wood charcoal (one small chunk.) After the flame had stopped, it didn't burn down. I picked it up and outta the kettle for use later.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 02:33:45 PM »
Looks great! You Atlanta guys are crushing it!
Instead of removing the lid, try shutting down the top vent some. You want to make sure that the top vent stays more open than the bottom vents to keep positive air flow.

If my temps creep too high I'll shut down my bottom vents to almost (if not) completely closed. Only after that will I use the top vent. Keep playing you'll get it!

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 07:07:19 PM »
Excellent cook.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 07:38:20 PM »

"..we had consumed too much beer by now so we switched to wine and whiskey  :o"

Damn skippy, I'm in!  ;)
A bunch of black kettles