Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Butt Alternatives  (Read 2646 times)

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
Butt Alternatives
« on: April 25, 2015, 07:36:47 AM »
I've been thinking about diverging from the traditional rubs and sauces for pulled pork and was wondering what others have tried.

I've had a few pig roasts over the past few years and the recipe that's gotten the best feedback has been a mixture of apples, scallions, thyme, rosemary garlic and rum in the cavity (salt/ pepper also). It has a really great "light" taste to it and was wondering how to best translate that to a large butt.

My initial thought is to stab holes in it, insert garlic and scallions into the holes, make a rub of salt ,pepper, ground thyme and rosemary for the outside and then add the apples and rum at the point of wrapping.

I'm thinking that smoke might not be appropriate and I'd be best off using straight charcoal.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Butt Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 07:51:39 AM »
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? So disregard what I've typed here: ;)

Sounds perfect for a pork tenderloin of some kind, where you can slit it open or maybe cut through the ends if already held together with twine/silicone bands. Not sure what would happen to a butt if you could even cut far enough into it. Perhaps there's an injection that would come close to the taste of the garlic and scallions.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 07:53:59 AM »
slice down next to the blade bone, put the apples, scallions, etc., next to the blade, and tie it up when you are done. If you have an injector you could use that too.

You could also try to make a brine with the ingredients and then brine it for a while.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 07:54:21 AM »
Sounds like a really interesting flavor profile.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 08:04:33 AM »
slice down next to the blade bone, put the apples, scallions, etc., next to the blade  ...

Aaaaannnnd I just stole your suggestion, thanks Austin!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 09:13:38 AM »
I know this may sound strange, but one of my favorites is to use green enchilada sauce as a marinade, then a brush on and finally mix it into the pulled pork. It taste great.
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 09:30:07 AM »
slice down next to the blade bone, put the apples, scallions, etc., next to the blade  ...

Aaaaannnnd I just stole your suggestion, thanks Austin!

Great minds think alike!

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 02:29:19 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I think next weekend I'm going to do two butts and try slicing it down like suggested above, but I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on adding the apples right at the beginning or wait for a midway point. Most of the time when I try any fruit or vegetable on a long cook, the flavor cooks right out.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 04:35:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I think next weekend I'm going to do two butts and try slicing it down like suggested above, but I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on adding the apples right at the beginning or wait for a midway point. Most of the time when I try any fruit or vegetable on a long cook, the flavor cooks right out.

You might could approach it like a stuffed pork loin.......sort of cut (like suggested above) down in next to the bone or even take the bone out & stuff with apple & other things you want to try, wrap back up & tie.....

Perhaps still puncture & plug with garlic all around the outside....I've done that with tri-tip & clod & p. loin & it turns out good......eating along & hit a plug of soft sweet garlic......yeah, it's good.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 05:45:45 PM »

You might could approach it like a stuffed pork loin.......sort of cut (like suggested above) down in next to the bone or even take the bone out & stuff with apple & other things you want to try, wrap back up & tie.....

Perhaps still puncture & plug with garlic all around the outside....I've done that with tri-tip & clod & p. loin & it turns out good......eating along & hit a plug of soft sweet garlic......yeah, it's good.....

@1buckie I think removing the bone and filling the void of where it was is a great idea. @AJ328 the blade bone is flat on one side and very funky shaped on the other. It's a little tricky to cut out but use a sharp knife and make lots of small cuts, scoring the bone to remove the meat if need be. Can't wait to see the pics of this cook!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 06:15:33 PM »
You could go with a Chinese five spice like they do for braised fatty pork. There's this restaurant near my old neighborhood that serves this:

It's spicy and sweet but lacks smoke depth. It would be KILLER with a smoked shoulder.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 08:15:45 PM »
... might could ...

Ooh, so sorry but only Georgia residents are allowed to use that phrase. See also: "fixin' to," as in, Ahm fixin' to go do that."

Please try again.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 09:49:17 PM »
From Reno......and........

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"