Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoked sausage and grill basket veggies with the vortex  (Read 2164 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Smoked sausage and grill basket veggies with the vortex
« on: April 07, 2015, 08:44:36 PM »
Second cook with the vortex, I'm really liking this thing. It works differently than the baskets and the metal is a good heat deflector.

Put about 50 briqs of KBB in the vortex, narrow end up. Lit 10 briqs in the mini-chimney and threw them on top for a minion type set up. Put a chunk of pecan over the vortex directly on the cooking grate. Lower vent mostly closed to hold temp low.

Had 5 sweet Italian sausage and 4 hot Calabrese

Cooked and pulled to rest, they took a little over an hour.

Opened the lower vent wide to get the heat up, had yellow squash, mushrooms, and onions in the basket. The vortex is awesome directly under the veggie basket.

Plated...

And the smoke ring money shot 8)

Have a good night!

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
Re: Smoked sausage and grill basket veggies with the vortex
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 05:25:09 AM »
Austin87, Nice job on your grilling.
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 07:32:05 AM »
Austin you're on a roll. I cooked that panko fish recipe. We LOVED it!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 11:24:17 AM »
Looks pretty good!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Sauce

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 04:54:34 PM »
Good looking grub Austin. What is the difference between loading up the vortex vs the charcoal baskets?

Sauce
'07 WSM 18.5", '15 Blue Performer Deluxe, '07 Genesis E-310 gasser, Jumbo Joe, Go Anywhere charcoal.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 06:08:03 PM »
Now I'm wanting some sausages!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 08:23:18 PM »
Good looking grub Austin. What is the difference between loading up the vortex vs the charcoal baskets?

Sauce

@Sauce its more concentrated right above the vortex, but because the stainless steel is pretty thick gauge it is a better heat blocker for indirect. The vortex fits perfectly between the charcoal grate and cooking grate, about 5" tall. So, if you aren't directly over the vortex you have shielded, indirect heat. When banking or using the baskets the food closest to the coals cooks a little faster because there isn't a heat shield - the vortex eliminates that. In the photo below only the stuff over the red circle gets direct heat. Everything between the red circle and the green circle/edge of the kettle gets even, indirect heat. It's pretty cool. Also, you can stack coals 5-6 or more high in a small concentrated area. When I bank or use the baskets I can usually only get coals 2-3 deep. Hope that helps.

I'll be cooking quite a bit with this thing. It won't completely replace the baskets but I think it has some really cool uses.

Austin

Sauce

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 10:44:51 PM »
Good info, and good cooking!

Sauce
'07 WSM 18.5", '15 Blue Performer Deluxe, '07 Genesis E-310 gasser, Jumbo Joe, Go Anywhere charcoal.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 04:23:58 AM »
I think I need to get a vortex or make one. Looks like a great tool to have. How low was the temp you were holding?

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 10:49:31 AM »
@Nate after dumping the 10 lit briqs into the vortex I got a phone call and left the lid off for 10 minutes so they were getting tons of air and lighting coals next to them.... It took a little while to cool off after closing the vents but 300-325. Little higher than I wanted but that was my goof at the start.

Had I started with 6-8 briqs and put the lid on quickly (which is what I've got tapped up for the next go) I think I could hold 250 pretty easy.