Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Butter Bath  (Read 4365 times)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Butter Bath
« on: March 31, 2015, 03:35:31 PM »
I've been reading up on this technique, it seems to be popular in competition cooking for ribs and chicken
Just wondering if anyone uses this method when cooking and what your thoughts are and of course any tips when adapting the cook to the kettle
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Butter Bath
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 03:55:34 PM »
I've never done it. I saw a recipe stating that margarine should be used instead of butter due to the smoke point, but at smoking temps 275* and below you shouldn't have problem using just butter.

I am a huge fan of clarified butter, or ghee, (can be found at Indian grocery markets and some regular stores). It has a smoke point high enough for deep frying (350-400*) and is a great addition to pretty much anything.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 05:18:31 PM »
Bunch of different ways to do it. skin up or skin down, foiled pan or muffin pans, butter or margarine blend.

for comp, I cook in a pan skin side down, @275* then finish them off on the grill and glaze with thinned sauce.

Heres a good link http://howtobbqright.com/bbqchicken.html

or google Jumpin' Jim's chicken thighs

2nd Place Chicken 66 Teams

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 05:34:46 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 06:18:51 PM »
WOW!!! Swamp that looks amazing!!!
Thanks for the tips and links I'll check them out
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 06:52:22 PM »
Awesome box! Any pointers on the glaze?

I use the butter bath method in comps but haven't tried it skin side down

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 07:43:20 PM »
Do you use bone in or bone out thighs?
Home made sauce or bought sauce?
What type of muffin trays y'all using in your kettles ? CI , Teflon?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 02:09:07 AM by Hogsy »
                            WKC Collaborator

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 04:45:35 AM »
Awesome box! Any pointers on the glaze?

I use the butter bath method in comps but haven't tried it skin side down

just thinned out sauce with apple juice.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 05:01:03 AM »
Do you use bone in or bone out thighs?
Home made sauce or bought sauce?
What type of muffin trays y'all using in your kettles ? CI , Teflon?

my routine is to trim at home, bone in and squared up, skin removed then vac seal until meat inspection at comp. Brine, skin off, then air dried on pastry racks. Season, form skins on, season, then skin down in butter bath uncovered. cook at 275* @ 30 minutes or until internal @140* then pound them hard with pecan smoke on the Rib-O-Lator until done. glaze with thinned sauce from squeeze bottle. I use a 22" Master-Touch/Cajun Bandit Conversion with a Rib-O-Lator. Chicken is my favorite meat to cook! Usually a combo box with 6 thighs and sliced breast.

Doctored commercial sauces for me -

people are using mini-loaf pans (Wilton brand is one I can think of) but they usually only hold 9-12 thighs.