Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Using CB Rotisserie on Performer without Lid????  (Read 6321 times)

rlassor

• Smokey Joe
Using CB Rotisserie on Performer without Lid????
« on: February 12, 2015, 04:07:11 AM »
I watched a video on YouTube showing a 4 hour cook of a 6lb chicken on a rotisserie without using a lid.  He used a full chimney of charcoal spread in one layer (directly under chicken) on bottom of grill and then once every hour placed about 20-25 briquettes on top of lit coals to replenish along with more smoke wood chunks.   It appeared that the chicken came out fantastic and moist.  Does anyone have any experience on this rotisserie method or remember any posts' discussing this use of topless rotisserie?
I am interested in trying it on my Performer w/Cajun Bandit Rotisserie but would appreciate any feedback.  Thanks!!

Texmech

• Smokey Joe
Re: Using CB Rotisserie on Performer without Lid????
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 05:56:12 AM »
This is kind of funny. I just watched what I think is the same video this morning and was surprised to see someone doing a cook like that. Not sure how much of a "positive" difference that makes, but it sure sounds like it extends the cook. The reason I watched that was I just ordered a rotisserie ring for my WK and have been looking at some different idea for meals. I even saw one where a guy put chicken wings on the skewer cooked them using the rotisserie. These WK's are so versatile. I kick my self for taking so long to get one.
Tex

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 06:54:15 AM »
got a link for the video?

After watching videos of the spinnari and rodizo on kettles, I was thinking of ways that I would want to block off open space around the frames and something to rest the lid on them.

Adding fuel during a cook isn't really my idea of fun, but thats just me.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Texmech

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 07:02:44 AM »
This is the one I watched. Not sure if it was the same for rlassor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMfcFAehvQI
Tex

rlassor

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 07:50:09 AM »
Yes that is the same YouTube Video I watched!  It is 37 minutes long!!  I was curious if anyone else had any experience with using a kettle rotisserie without a lid.  It seemed to work really well if you have the time and if wind and/or rain isn't going to be a problem.

The way he had it set up it was extremely easy to add more charcoal and smoke wood.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 08:04:34 AM »
My ranch kettle does not have a lid (not a Weber) and I use the rotisserie all the time

the Santa Maria style of BBQ is a rotisserie over a fire or coals without sides around the load. You do it directly over the heat, not indirect because of the fact that there is nothing to hold the heat.
Santa Maria style is known for it's Tri Tip BBQ. But chickens come out great that way as do boneless ham
 When I have time I will post a pic of the ranch kettle
I do prefer chickens done the regular Weber way, and it is a lot more efficient with coals
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

rlassor

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 08:50:15 AM »
Thanks Jammato!  What do you consider the "regular way" when using a CB Rotisserie on a Kettle.  I am attempting this for the first time soon on a new rotisserie and new performer, both of which I have no experience with!  I have owned a Grill Dome ceramic cooker and now own a MAK pellet grill but this is my first cook on the Weber Kettle.  I will be cooking indirect (with the lid on) but would appreciate any feedback on position of fuel, how many coals to light, vent positions and anything else that I should know!  I have Weber Charcoal baskets that I was planning on using!  Thanks again for any feed back from any members!

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 10:18:46 AM »
the way I do it is with a spacer with a rotisserie and the lid on using indirect heat, that is my regular way.
coals on either side, chicken in the middle, now days I will use the coal baskets weber sells
I would light about 2/3s of a weber chimney, divide that either side and put a few wood chunks in the baskets
vents? that is kind of a each to his own thingy as in the desert where I live is going be different from yours, but my target temp will be around 375, I try to have the top vent just a little more cracked than the bottom

I think being the internet I should have clarified that before posting.

here is a video on you tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M1bJh2VmnM
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:23:17 AM by Jammato »
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 07:36:55 PM »
I wouldn't go so far as to knock what the guy did in that 37 minute ode to open fire rotisserie smoking on a Weber kettle, its just not my style.

It reminded me of this cookout-

More hands on than I have time for.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 01:45:31 AM »
I prefer to use natural earth-friendly methods whenever possible.

Helps to have a stream on my property.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 06:20:56 AM by MartyG »

vic

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 06:13:04 PM »

LMAO!!!!

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 06:38:24 PM »
I bet that was a fun cook-out to attend!!!    8)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 11:21:55 AM »

That is so cool

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 02:36:34 PM »
Many cultures and countries around the world cook over “open fire” and without a lid. It’s kind of cooking indirect. The temperature is controlled by lowering or raising the spit from the fire. For higher temp the spit is lowered near the fire. For lower temp, the spit is raised away from the fire. You get a totally different flavor from using this method. The dripping fat creates an awesome flavor and the char you get also add to the taste of the meat that you cannot achieve by doing it indirect with the lid on.
If you place a lid on any of the setups in the pictures below, the outside of the meat would be burned by the time the inside is done. Another word, it’s a way to control the temp. Is it fuel efficient, probably not, but the taste is what counts here!!!

And there are a lot more examples out there :)
As they say, “Don’t knock it til you’ve tried it “   ;D

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 02:57:41 PM »
Have to give that a try