Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Trader Joe's Kosher Brisket  (Read 2882 times)

namtrag

• WKC Brave
Trader Joe's Kosher Brisket
« on: October 31, 2014, 08:50:25 AM »
My wife picked one of these up, as it is smaller and much less expensive than a packer.  She wanted me to cook a brisket (which I have never done), but when she saw that it costs about $75 to buy one at our butcher, she said maybe I need to practice on a smaller one! lol

I am not sure even what part of the brisket it is, but it is roughly 3lbs, and already trimmed.

This will be my first brisket cook, so do I put on some good rub, and just cook at 275 on indirect heat until it gets to 170, and then wrap and put back on until it gets to 200 or so?

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
Re: Trader Joe's Kosher Brisket
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 09:53:45 AM »
It is most likely a flat.  flats are the leaner portion of the brisket that you normally see sliced in long pieces.  the point is the fattier part of the brisket that is commonly chopped into chopped beef for sandwiches. 

Your plan of attack sounds pretty good.  Go with any rub you like on beef, then wrap it in foil or butcher paper once the bark sets.  gently scratch it with your fingernail until the rub doesn't come off easily.  Then you will know the bark is set and you can wrap. 

after a few hours in the wrap, start probing and when the probe goes in really smooth with no resistance, then it's done.  don't even bother looking at the temp, go by feel.  then let it rest for at least an hour, preferably 2-4.  slice against the grain and enjoy. 

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Re: Trader Joe's Kosher Brisket
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 04:16:45 AM »
How did this brisket turn out @namtrag ?