Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First successful ribs!  (Read 1311 times)

GOMRDS

• Smokey Joe
First successful ribs!
« on: February 08, 2015, 11:32:30 AM »
I don't have a better picture, because these literally fell off the bone when I picked them up!

Here's how it went down: Applied a bit of BBQ rub pre-cook. Did a 3-2 snake (clockwise, 'cuz that's how I roll...) on the red SS. Dome therm averaged just shy of 300, which is higher than I'd have liked, but I had time constraints, unfortunately. Cooked 2 hours, then coated with BBQ sauce and wrapped in foil, then put it back on for another 2. I pulled them off when my meat therm reading was in the high 190s.

A few questions: Is the ribs breaking when I picked them up with tongs a sign that they were overcooked? At what meat temp do you pull your ribs off the grill (and do you measure at the thickest part of the slab)? Is there any way to mitigate the thinner portion of the slab getting over-cooked in comparison to the thicker section?

I'll do a couple things differently next time (like lowering the cook temp), but overall I'm very happy how they turned out.

Char Q
18.5" Copper Samuel Adams
Red SS Performer code EO

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First successful ribs!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 11:56:37 AM »
They look real good, but yeah......that's a bit long for that type of rib.....try 2-1-45min.

Or even 2-1/4- 45min.-45min.

The time in foil is braizing & will cook faster than normal.......I've never once temped a flat of ribs, but just guessing that if pulled pork happens at, say, 195+, then it should be somewhat less than that to keep it on the bone......

With backribs, try out the toothpick test......pick should punch in with no resistance & juices run clear......

Bend test for regular ribs ~~>
(doesn't work as well for backribs 'cause they are so thick)
These:

Bend like this:

Oh, and counter-clockwise for pork......

Bet they tasted great.....no matter falling apart !!!!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 01:19:52 PM »
Looks great, I like them falling off the bone, but I've stopped foiling because I like the bark I get better. It also helps me not cook them to the point of mushy. Looks great to me!

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 05:00:25 PM »
I variate between foil or bark

Both are great

nice cook
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 07:11:49 PM »
Let's eat!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 09:58:10 PM »
Great looking cook GOMRDS - and as long as it tasted good to you that's all that matters! The fun part is now dialing in your technique and making them even better next time!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E