Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork 'Brisket'  (Read 1843 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Pork 'Brisket'
« on: January 29, 2015, 09:06:03 AM »
I plan on smoking spare ribs for Super Bowl Sunday. I'm debating if I should trim them to have a St. Louis style rib.

If I trim them, what do you do with the boneless section that is trimmed off? Could I smoke them and do a pork burnt end? Surely I would need a snack while smoking everything else (ribs, chicken, turds).

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Re: Pork 'Brisket'
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 09:29:11 AM »
I grabbed some spares recently for another trial cook with my new IQ110. I tried my hand at trimming STL style, and it wasnt perfect but it not a disaster either.

I threw the boneless section on next to the rack and used it to monitor how the slab was cooking. I took a bite to check for tenderness and my first thought was"This is so good its like Meat Candy". It was as good if not better then the ribs itself. I would throw it on as "chef's reserve" and take a taste when the meat is done, i think you will be pleased.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 10:05:32 AM »
Here's a little pictorial thing on Smoke Ring by MacEggs buddy Roxy:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24759&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It's a pretty wide rack of spares & pretty aggressive trim, but gives you the right idea......

The head bones are fine just by themselves, see here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/rib-tips/msg94145/#msg94145

I stick 'em on @ low heat for a pretty long time, but you can bump it up a bit & maybe foil w/ sauces or liquids if you'd like.......

Here's a couple rack 'par cut' done different ways the same day..... the par cutting gets the thin edges out of the way because they'll just dry out by the time the thick part is done.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/ribs-two-ways-wrapped-unwrapped/msg87295/#msg87295

The St. Louis cut may cook up a little more evenly being the same general size.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 03:17:01 AM »
I like to smoke the flap and use it in beans and soups and stuff.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 07:04:34 AM »
I like to smoke the flap and use it in beans and soups and stuff.

There's another good idea.....good to see you @bama bbq  !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"