Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Porcelain Cracking on 2726 Firepit  (Read 2915 times)

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
Porcelain Cracking on 2726 Firepit
« on: June 03, 2016, 07:06:23 PM »
I just picked up this sweet looking Weber 2726 firepit today thanks to the heads up alert from @brewtownbeatdown.  The lid is in phenomenal shape and the mid section is brand new.  The bowl on the other hand is not in the best of shape.  Major porcelain cracking on the entire underside of the bowl.  A question to all the 2726 firepit owners, are you seeing porcelain cracking like this?  I'm contemplating ordering a new bowl from Weber for $60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 07:08:10 PM by crumbsnatcher »

jbenavidez2

• WKC Brave
Re: Porcelain Cracking on 2726 Firepit
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 09:52:25 PM »
From what I can tell, it's expected if you don't burn with a level of sand on the bottom of the bowl when you burn. That being said : I picked up a pit where they only used it once. It had the same problem , so use it and order another bowl after you get frustrated.

Looking for Blues

Currently have: 26.75 Gold; 22.5 SS Performer (Red Mist); 22.5 Mastertouch (Ivory); 18 Sam Adams (Copper); SJS; Jumbo Joe; 18.5 WSM; Genesis EP-330 LP (Copper); Summit S-450 NG; Fireplace; Firepit; Summit 400 Flat Top; Simpsons 22.5 Gold

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 10:05:00 AM »
I picked up a NIB last year. I've used it 3 times and already have the same problem as you. I didn't use sand because I thought it would be to hard to clean out ash. I like being able to just dump it out and not always have sand around to refill it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 10:33:42 AM »
I put a 22 charcoal grate in the bottom of mine after my 1st use. That 1st use caused the same issues on my bowl, but I don't think it looks quite as bad as yours. Works much better now.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 12:14:26 PM »
I roached the shit out of my top and bottom....."C'est la vie"
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 02:01:58 PM »
My DE 26 kettle has crazing all around the bowl. I don't worry, it cooks like a champ and probably will for the next 20 years.....

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 02:12:55 PM »
I put a 22 charcoal grate in the bottom of mine after my 1st use. That 1st use caused the same issues on my bowl, but I don't think it looks quite as bad as yours. Works much better now.

Wow, crazing and cracking after one use huh?  Were these fire pits made in China of lesser quality porcelain enamel or something?  I've banked ripping coals many times in my kettles and even burned fires without issues like what I've seen in this fire pit.  Just doesn't seem right. 

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 03:29:59 PM »
I've got a new one that I have never used yet but the instructions says to put sand in the bottom of the bowl.  I just looked at the owner's manual.  It says to use at least 2 pounds of sand in the bottom to help insulate the bottom of the firepit.  I would say that the person you got the firepit from did not use sand or not enough of it.

Wayne

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 07:49:42 PM »
I just went out to the garage to check mine. I only use my fire pit once a year - on Halloween night out in the driveway. Mine has the same crazing marks as well. However, it is very light and I had to hold my bowl up at a certain angle to the light to see them. I have never used sand in mine. I have always used a 22.5 charcoal grate to keep the heat from making direct contact with the bowl. I think now I will change the grate from a 22.5 charcoal grate to a 26.75 charcoal grate or maybe a 22.5 cook grate to raise it up even higher?

Being that this is a discontinued item from Weber, I was under the assumption that a new replacement bowl was no longer available? Does anyone know for sure if these are still available from Weber?
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 08:20:18 PM »
@ramsfan - I called Friday and was quoted $60 for the bottom bowl, ~100 units left in inventory. Leg kit was $27.

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 05:09:12 PM »
Congrats @crumbsnatcher!  I'm glad you ended up with one.  I know you were looking for a while.  I have no cracking, and have never used anything in my bowl.  Do you know if they had any aluminum heat pans(ash pans) in stock?

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
Porcelain Cracking on 2726 Firepit
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 05:16:55 PM »
Congrats @crumbsnatcher!  I'm glad you ended up with one.  I know you were looking for a while.  I have no cracking, and have never used anything in my bowl.  Do you know if they had any aluminum heat pans(ash pans) in stock?

Thanks man. Took a while finally score a fire pit. Gonna put it to good use.  These definitely don't come up very often. BTW, I'm not sure about the heat shield pan because mine is still in good shape so I didn't Inquire with Weber CS during my call.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 05:18:52 PM by crumbsnatcher »

MTW524

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 05:53:30 PM »
I've got a new one that I have never used yet but the instructions says to put sand in the bottom of the bowl.  I just looked at the owner's manual.  It says to use at least 2 pounds of sand in the bottom to help insulate the bottom of the firepit.  I would say that the person you got the firepit from did not use sand or not enough of it.

Wayne
Interested in parting with it at all?

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 09:36:32 PM »

Wayne
Interested in parting with it at all?

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Not at this time but thanks for asking.