Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thinking about looking for a Genesis to restore  (Read 8024 times)

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Re: Thinking about looking for a Genesis to restore
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 02:10:46 PM »

Thanks, but I'm thinking of the current generation Summit. Just waiting for the right one at the right price to come along. Once they get a little dirty, people seem to lose interest and run out to buy another one. Hope to find one that needs nothing but a good cleaning.

Hahah, must be nice living in your area.  Around here, Summits are few and far between.  Can't say that I've seen one on CL that was under 8 years old or ridiculously expensive.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 11:26:43 AM »
I somehow missed this thread completely?!?

All great advice from everyone above and the $200-$300 estimate range sounds about right for a nice clean refurb.

One thing I learned very quickly while going through the restore process is that many older Genesis' use the same lids, but the bottom section of the BBQ's vary between models. I had hoped to find an extra cheap BBQ that I could salvage parts from and in the end wound up doing 2 restores when the parts wouldn't swap like I had hoped.  :-[
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 07:37:50 PM »
Yes, I've tried to share lids and parts with friends who had apparently identical grills, but the dimensions would be slightly off.  So be careful. 
One of the charcoal people.

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 06:24:58 AM »
I got my 1000 for $25 and with parts/paint spent just under $200. I couldn't be happier and 6 years later running great with no signs of slowing down. She used to be red but I swapped the lid to blue to match my kettles. I prefer the east west configuration over newer north south especially with the roti.

Can't find a better pic of original restore. I've since replced the side burner with another table.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 07:30:46 AM »
I suppose we all have our preferences. I'm "gasless" but would love a red 1000 or maybe just a 2-burner with wood to complement my red SS. I like the idea of a side burner however, to light chimneys and cook with CI pans ... and the sweet spot overall (for me) seems to be those later '90s/00s models with SS carts but NOT the gray plastic tables. Especially if it's a Summit or whatever those models were with the top-mounted controls.

Then again I'd probably fall for the right Q model in any non-gray, non-off white color.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch