Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My Latest Project: SS Super Smokey Mountain  (Read 14578 times)

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
Re: My Latest Project: SS Super Smokey Mountain
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2017, 03:18:39 PM »
I see that the WSM top goes inside the WSM middle to create the seal.   If I use a reg kettle top, will it seal fine?  Will it go over the WSM middle or inside?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.
- Jumbo Joe with smoker mods

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2017, 10:08:48 AM »
@Jeff any pictures of the HC pan and setup?

@mrgoodbar67
Here are some pics of the Happy Cooker ash pan in place.  I did have to notch out a spot for the burner tube to fit, otherwise the pan wouldn't sit straight in the bowl.  Worth noting, the HC pan sits low enough in the bowl that it rests against the One Touch sweepers.  While the HC pan is in place, the sweepers are inoperable, but that's ok since I leave the vents open throughout the cook.

Luckily I had a pan that wasn't in steller condition, so I didn't mind notching it as much.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:14:41 AM by Jeff »
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2017, 10:12:04 AM »
I see that the WSM top goes inside the WSM middle to create the seal.   If I use a reg kettle top, will it seal fine?  Will it go over the WSM middle or inside?

@mrgoodbar67
A regular kettle lid doesn't quite fit.  The O.D. of the WSM center section is a hair to big for a standard 22 kettle lid to fit over it unfortunately.

Sorry bout the ugly color combo!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:14:11 AM by Jeff »

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
My Latest Project: SS Super Smokey Mountain
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2017, 12:03:06 PM »
@jeff thanks
I was thinking of using a wsm middle but with the kettle top.  Guess that won't happen.  I haven't been able to find a used 22 WSM for cheap and don't want to buy the middle and the top.  Might have to mod a 120 qt stock pot then....

-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2017, 12:10:34 PM »

@mrgoodbar67
A regular kettle lid doesn't quite fit.  The O.D. of the WSM center section is a hair to big for a standard 22 kettle lid to fit over it unfortunately.

You can always use a bigger kettle lid. I did not actually cook anything like this. It was just a spot to hold my lid that day.

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2017, 01:03:43 PM »
Thanks @HoosierKettle but i dont want it to look awkward.

Well see....I want to finish the project by spring time.  Im in SoCal and have been experiencing nonstop rain for almost 2 months.  Not complaining, cuz we need(ed) it.

sinisterdonut

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2017, 01:46:58 PM »
Great looking smoker you got there

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2017, 01:51:01 PM »
Great looking smoker you got there

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Thanks. :)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2017, 05:07:10 AM »
Great work! One of the coolest project I ever seen especially with that one off color.

Maybe it is not an issue, but for me, I'd be worried about weight imbalance. Especially when the it is fully loaded up.  Maybe load up the charcoal bin with rocks or hanging weights to balance it out.  :)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2017, 05:27:55 AM »
Great work! One of the coolest project I ever seen especially with that one off color.

Maybe it is not an issue, but for me, I'd be worried about weight imbalance. Especially when the it is fully loaded up.  Maybe load up the charcoal bin with rocks or hanging weights to balance it out.  :)
Believe it or not, its very stable.  No concern whatsoever about balance and tipping potential.  Also, its not too tall to comfortably operate... And I'm 5'10.   Its really quite the machine!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2017, 02:54:27 PM »
Gorgeous.  Really nice!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2017, 06:23:01 PM »

@mrgoodbar67

So....what if i bend in the lip of the wsm middle enough to allow the kettle lid to sit as flush as possible, using a gasket?  What u guys think?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2017, 06:35:28 PM »
First off, I know very little about metal fabrication. If you bend the middle section then this is a forever setup correct? Are you able to make some kind of gasket now that seals over the lip and is air tight enough to use? If not, then bend away sir. Can't wait to see it all come together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2017, 06:35:41 PM »

@mrgoodbar67

So....what if i bend in the lip of the wsm middle enough to allow the kettle lid to sit as flush as possible, using a gasket?  What u guys think?

Might work, but you'd risk the porcelain finish cracking should you flex it too much

Red Blaze

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2017, 06:36:29 PM »
Turn it over!
Burnin' Charcoal and Black Powder