Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SS Performer Frame Cleaning Question  (Read 2132 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
SS Performer Frame Cleaning Question
« on: January 10, 2015, 12:15:29 PM »
I'm thinking of getting around to cleaning my SS Performer frame.  What is the best way?

Is it paint or porcelain?

I'm pretty sure it is paint, can I use paint thinner to clean it off?

Is it ok to repaint it or it up?  What paint is the best match?  I'm hesitant as I will never paint it as well as it is painted.

Any tips for cleaning and de-rusting and repainting the inside of the frame members?  I'm thinking drag a thinner soaked rag through a few times, then pour in a paint.  What would be a recommended paint for this (something to stop and neutralize and cover surface rust)?  I've seen POR mentioned.  Are there others that are similar or better?

Thanks, Pete

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:21:59 PM by ClubChapin »

SixZeroFour

Re: SS Performer Frame Cleaning Question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »
Hey Pete,

The frame is painted but thinner wont do anything for you, you'll have to use sandpaper. You don't need to pull all the paint off just scuff it up using a high grit sandpaper (400) just so that the new paint has something to bite to. You've done a great job tearing it down, so the next step would be to rid the frame parts of any and all rust you are able to. The bit shown in the last pic should sand away fairly easily and leave you with a much smoother surface. The most important thing to remember with painting is that it's ALL about the prep. Your going to all this work so make sure you have it feeling relatively smooth before repainting. As for paint, go with a high heat bbq paint but make sure you find one that's gloss - many of them out there dry a flat black that doesn't look right in the end. The stuff I used was made by Tremclad and sold at Home Depot (at least here in Canada). You will probably need 4 cans to finish it all (use multiple thin coats per directions on can)

I did the exact same process on a couple old performers and most recently on the Red Genesis gasser refurb here:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-gas-grills-electric-cookers/i-think-i-have-my-work-cut-out-for-me/

and they all came out great.

Any other questions just ask!

Matt
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 01:25:26 PM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 05:24:55 PM »
Yup.....what 604 said.  I rehabbed a SS frame last year. The only thing I regretted was that I used a satin black paint. I should have used gloss. The paint itself came out great, but it just doesn't look right.
-Keith

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 08:45:07 AM »
Been a long time since i did some car frame work. After I sandblasted the frame, i painted it with POR15 and then painted over that. You can get a small kit for $30 on Amazon. I just saw the rust holes on it and you can scuff and paint it, but will it bubble again? POR15 is a rust preventive coating, rock solid hard when it dries. Seems to be just like that Tremclad but POR15 is has more steps in the kit to use, then just paint. Might be overkill, but thought i would through that out there. Sounds like the Tremclad is going to be one shot and done.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:48:17 AM by Sramsey »
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 05:21:04 PM »
Jeff coached me to use self-etching primer before I painted with high-temp gloss, and that's worked really well for me.  I wish I had sanded things more smooth, though.
One of the charcoal people.