Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Spit Roasting a Pork Shoulder ?  (Read 1367 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Spit Roasting a Pork Shoulder ?
« on: January 07, 2015, 01:20:57 PM »
  I found a few articles elsewhere by people that have done it, but not much info as to the how it tasted or came out ?  Just some technics and I think I've got that part figured out already.

On Primal Grill he did one , only about 4 hours of cook time though and I'm not thinking that's going to work ? More like 7-10 hours to properly render based on the size of the shoulder I have and the temp I plan to run at .

But then

My thoughts are that poking a bunch of holes in one for the roti might allow to much juice to escape and with a long cook like that it might come out dry ?  Or it's possible that like with most roti cooks it could be really juicy ? I just don't know lol

I've done plenty of shoulders in my day and can fire up the WSM or a grill easily enough , just looking for something different to do and someone to push me off the cliff :)

Let's hear your ideas or thoughts ?

Thanks in Advance
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
Re: Spit Roasting a Pork Shoulder ?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 02:54:20 PM »
I’ve done the shoulder on the Rotis and it was awesome!!!
You have to keep in mind that this is for sliced pork and not pulled pork. I let it cook until internal temp was around 170 and it was perfectly cooked and tasty slicing pork.

I’ve also sliced raw pork shoulder and lined up the slices on the spit with great results. This method allows more seasoning to get into each slice of the shoulder and yield excellent results.
I cut the end result on this one into strip (fajita size), and they were perfectly cooked as well.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 03:33:30 PM »
I know @Bman smoked a butt on the rotis, but I'm not sure of the details.  I believe he wrapped it in cheesecloth so it would hold together.
One of the charcoal people.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 02:43:24 AM »
What cooker are you planning on using? Do you have a rotis ring for your WSM? If you do, I would suggest cooking it direct without the waterpan. Hot n' Fast! 275-350* dome.  Do you want pulled or sliced pork? I'd cook a boneless butt, trim off the fat cap and tie it up like a loin and let it roll. Depending on the size I figure 4-6 hours for sliced.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!