Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Impromptu prime rib roast  (Read 1609 times)

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
Impromptu prime rib roast
« on: December 22, 2014, 03:49:11 AM »
My FIL never cooked a prime rib before but has always been interested. He asked me Saturday evening if I were interested in grilling it and I told him of course. Especially considering that he was buying! He calls the butcher Sunday morning and has them get a roast ready, calling for a 10lb roast. We agree on a time to start and I tell him what else to buy.

When he shows up, it isn't a 10lb roast. This sucker weighs almost 12lbs ($9.99/lb  :o ).

It already came with the bones cut and tied to the roast. I slit the fat on top and slid in some garlic throughout and seasoned it with sea salt and fresh black pepper.

I used a full lit chimney to create a two-zone fire and when the grate was nice and hot I tried to get a sear on it. I had a hard time doing that because it was so big and bulky and the grill kept flaring up.

Here she is right after she rested in foil for 30 minutes.

I was shooting for medium rare (125º) but I missed the mark a bit. In hindsight I should have pulled it sooner since it kept cooking while it was wrapped in foil. I also wish I probed it before I cut it so I knew how much the temp rose while it was foiled.

The women preferred it cooked this well and it was still very good. I also made a horseradish dipping sauce that complimented the roast very well.

I love making potatoes on the grill and they go so well with beef so of course I had that as well. I also steamed some fresh green beans on the grill as well but they don't warrant a picture.

-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Impromptu prime rib roast
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 12:50:46 PM »
Grate Cookup !!!

That stuff's still good @ medium.....esp. done up on a kettle......nice job !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 04:55:42 PM »
Can anyone tell me why this was even better the following day?

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »
Looks really good Tim, I never wrap my rib roasts as I want them to stop cooking asap once it is out of the
cooker. I have found that if you follow the guberments recommended temp guide and want it cooked anything
other than well done, you will be way behind the curve. We like our PR cooked to rare so I pull it off at
103-107 but prefer 105, let it rest uncovered for about 30 minutes max and the temp will climb to around
115-120 and start cutting. I also remove the ribs and re-tie it so it is nice and round and will cook evenly all
the way around and you get that awesome crust all the way around the roast.
This PR I cooked for this last Thanksgiving and was documenting the whole process from removing from the
package to carving the finished product. I pulled it at 105 but with all the set up and taking the shots of it,
the internal temp rose to over 128 and was more of a medium rare.. I shot black and white film for my photo
class at the local college and made a book about the process for my final assignment.
As for the next day better thing, I have no real answer for ya but am so glad it happens as the sammiches are
sublime..

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:36:36 PM by mirkwood »
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 03:46:07 AM »
Awesome information @mirkwood, I'll have to keep that in mind if I'm ever lucky enough to go about this again! I was following one of the recipes in a Weber book. That is the reason that I wrapped it. They said to do it so you could collect the juices that escape while it rests.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 06:04:38 AM »
Forgot to mention another reason removing the bones is a good idea, is they will act like a heatsink and
retain heat for quite while and continue cooking the roast. The rib bones can also be use to make stock
as well.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 09:59:19 AM »
Tim that looks great.  Perfect for the way my family eats it.  For me I'm good at medium rare or medium.  I'm pretty cheap so I doubt I will  eve
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 05:00:42 PM »
Man that looks good!

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 02:42:28 AM »
Tim - awesome job!  Taking on a $100 piece of meat is a brave thing indeed.

Those potatoes look heavenly!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.